Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,447   Posts: 1,597,103   Online: 842

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Is anyone copying your posts?

There seems to be a new kind of scam going on, where a new member copies the posts of a trusted member and reposts the same content in their own name.

They might find an old thread and steal a post from page 3 and hope that by page 12, the original poster of that content won't be following the thread anymore, and no one else will notice. Presumably they are doing this to increase their post count or to appear as a trusted user themselves for some nefarious purpose.

Fortunately people do notice, so if you see any of this activity, please report it by clicking the little black triangle with the exclamation point in the box to the left of the post in question.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why would this be a problem?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [cut]There seems to be a new kind of scam going on, where a new member copies the posts of a trusted member and reposts the same content in their own name.

They might find an old thread and steal a post from page 3 and hope that by page 12, the original poster of that content won't be following the thread anymore, and no one else will notice. Presumably they are doing this to increase their post count or to appear as a trusted user themselves for some nefarious purpose.

Fortunately people do notice, so if you see any of this activity, please report it by clicking the little black triangle with the exclamation point in the box to the left of the post in question.[/cut]

[paste] +1 [/paste]

(I never would have thought of that scheme... but what a great way to sound intelligent... thanks David, you make me sound really smart... and I just got 1 more post to the all-important post count!)
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 09-24-2014 at 05:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Had 2nd thoughts about the wisdom of joking about a serious matter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    plagiarism, for one thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    For instance, you need a certain number of posts to be able to post a link or an image without it passing through moderation. If you can increase your post count quickly by posting seemingly innocuous content, you don't have to wait so long to post spam, and your spam is likely to remain on the system longer before being removed.

On APUG it shouldn't be an issue for the classifieds, because we require a paid subscription, but on other sites, there's a minimum post requirement to post in the For Sale section, and I suspect this might just be a pattern that operators of this scam may apply to various forums, whether it's relevant or not.

And then there's just the matter of stolen content. When the original poster notices that someone else is cutting and pasting their posts, they may find it a bit suspect.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder how many of Umut's posts have been copied?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I wonder how many of Umut's posts have been copied?
    I wonder...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    plagiarism, for one thing.
    Which is one of the reasons why I reported it. If someone wants to quote me and the go "+1", that is fine. But what freaked me out was that the poser poster also created a screen name that sounded very close to mine. That really got me to report it!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow... seriously, Vaughn. I didn't see that but understood what David was talking about. It would freak me out too... and I'd be really p'doffed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=David A. Goldfarb;1702322]There seems to be a new kind of scam going on, where a new member copies the posts of a trusted member and reposts the same content in their own name.

Fortunately people do notice, so if you see any of this activity, please report it by clicking the little black triangle with the exclamation point in the box to the left of the post in question.

Sometimes the quote markers get messed up so it looks like you are copying and not quoting.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin