Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,118   Posts: 1,636,846   Online: 1006

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

APUG's next version and migration to a new system, possibly in June/July.

Hi All,

Most vBulletin forum owners have been caught in limbo with this software. In my opinion the next version of vBulletin is unworkable leaving us stuck on this older version. This can only continue for so long, as the longer it does, the more vulnerable and buggy the system becomes. I and other forum admins have been keeping an eye on a newer system for a couple of years now. They have evolved into the best system available for large forum communities. I have seen 100's of vbulletin migrations to this new system ( Xenforo ). These vbulletin forums which migrated to Xenforo were much like APUG with millions of posts, 10,000's of users and various custom applications. They have all been extremely happy with their migrations. I am in talks with one of the leading Xenforo experts in performing these custom migrations and intend to schedule a major system migration for us in June or July. This may even provide a facility for a back end connection between APUG & DPUG allowing for single user accounts and much more. If all goes well you will not notice a huge difference, in fact you may find many of the things that annoyed you about our current system, vanish.

This will not be easy or cheap so if needed I may run a small Indiegogo crowd funding campaign. We can worry about that later.

Anyway, just giving you a heads up and I'm pretty excited to finally be able to move forward with this in the near future. I'll update this thread as I get more details.

Thanks!
    Sean

***UPDATE - April 28***

Ok, I intend to move on this but in phases. Primarily:

APUG.ORG
    forums
    gallery
    classifieds

then the rest of APUG functions implemented over the course of 4-6 weeks. Some things will be quick such as social groups, then articles and blogs. A few things will need a complete rewrite such as APUG portfolios (will be a good opportunity to bring this up to a much nicer level).

Once APUG is finished and we're all happy the next phase will be DPUG.

The next two weeks will be installing the software and having our styling work done.

So far forum and gallery license have been purchased $200 US. Styling work estimate $1-300US. I'll setup a fundraising notice for those who want to kick in a few bucks and make a dedicated donate button.

Migration support and custom coding will run anywhere from an estimated $500-1500 over the next 4-8 weeks.

***UPDATE - May 1st***

I have hired a skilled styling coder to transfer our look and feel to the new system (his team have done a lot of these conversions). This should be done in a couple of weeks. Then we will move on to importing content into the new system and swapping over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the other forums I frequent has recently migrated to Xen, although it is nowhere near as large or busy as APUG.

The only negative comment I will offer is that on my browser (Opera 12) Xen is rather slow and resource hungry, but I imagine the proportion of the APUG user base who might experience this problem is pretty small.

Good luck with the migration when it happens. For something the size of APUG it's not a task for the faint of heart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    One of the other forums I frequent has recently migrated to Xen, although it is nowhere near as large or busy as APUG.

The only comment I will offer is that on my browser (Opera 12) Xen is rather slow and resource hungry, but I imagine the proportion of the APUG user base who might experience this problem is pretty small.

Good luck with the migration when it happens. For something the size of APUG it's not a task for the faint of heart
    This could be an issue with their host as well. We are on a dedicated 8-core server running SSD, so it should be very fast. Xenforo also has far less bloat than vBulletin so I anticipate everything would be snappy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I've used other Xen sites that are equally slow, so I believe it's a client-side problem with Opera, which only affects digital dinosaurs like me who like the flexibility and customisability of the Opera 12 series and refuse to upgrade ... as I say, not many of us will suffer, no reason not to encourage you to proceed

Shooter
    35mm

Good luck Sean!!!

I would be most happy to make a donation to facilitate the migration once it is set up.
    cheers,
    Sam (samcomet)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

APUG's next version and migration to a new system, possibly in June/July.

Thanks for the update and all your hard work Sean. I'm sure the support from the community will be strong should you decide on the need of an Indiegogo campaign. Keep us posted! All the best...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the commendable efforts Shawn, and good luck with the migration!
    if the funding thing happens, I'll be happy to contribute there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sean

the work you do for this site ( and dpug ) is imeeasurable .
    thank you for a great site, and a haven !
    good luck with the migration !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will it work with Tapatalk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and 100% recycled electrons - because I care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This may even provide a facility for a back end connection between APUG & DPUG allowing for single user accounts and much more. If all goes well you will not notice a huge difference, in fact you may find many of the things that annoyed you about our current system, vanish.
    This would be an immense improvement. It would boost the popularity and use of DPUG (eg people like me who know and love their scanners, but just can't be bothered signing up to, and religiously checking, yet another forum).
    Not only that, but if it's possible for mods to move threads between the two sites, that would cut down on a whole lot of howling every time someone new (who doesn't quite understand the rules) comes in to apug, asks a dpug-question, gets shouted down and runs away scared.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin