Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,684   Online: 988

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac
    I've picked up from this site references to some of these but the only one I've come across personally and which I guess is one of those you refer to is that on the Pope. Yes I had my four penny worth on that and don't intend to go back into it. But the fundamental point is that a thread on a political or religious leader, however well meaning the instigator, is bound to be controversial for some. To my mind there are more appropriate forums to express ones feelings and it would be better if APUG stuck to (analogue) photography. After all people rightly jump up & down when anyone here starts a thread on digital photography so why can people apparently raise any subject they want if it's done in "the Lounge" and which have absolutely no relevance to photography? Will we be having someone expressing congratulations to Prince Charles & Mrs Parker-Bowles on their forthcoming marriage? (yes I expect we shall) But seriously would not the answer be to strictly limit threads to things clearly of photographic relevance - that would cut down the problem to some degree.
    One think that you seem to forget, the 'Lounge' was specifically set up for subjects that are no photographic in nature, and the thread on the Pope, was posted in the appropriate area, and was not a post designed to provoke.

The threads that Sean speaks of, were specifically designed and did accomplish what they were intended to do, and that is to build a controversial rhetorical interaction, and the individuals who posted it and continued it on, knew that it would do this.

Dave

Images
    You know what I like about APUG?
    Whenever there is big A vs. D arguement or Zone System vs. Don't Even Use a meter slap fight or the ever popular Whack a Scarpiti game appear to be consuming the whole forum, there is _always_ a consistant flow of the smaller, honest, informative Q&A threads on the small topics of analog materials and techniques that makes APUG the unique and invaluable resource that it has always been.

Personally, I advocate a an "Ignore This Thread" option that would allow me to flush the stupid, purposely disruptive bitch fights from my APUG experience.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Hi all,

I am a bit concerned over some recent threads and how they seemed designed to provoke people and cause controversy. This is sometimes known as trolling or baiting. We all know how these threads end up and I feel they should have no place here..

It's pretty easy to tell when a thread is a genuine attempt to make people think vs. something designed to cause controversy. If you feel a thread has been designed to cause problems, then please feel free to make use of the "report" button in the bottom right corner of the posting. I also suggest not replying to the thread and even adding the thread owner to your ignore list.

Thanks, Sean
    I would hope this would be the exception rather than the rule (the user of Reporting, that is). I like a more free forum for debate\discussion. But, when someone gets profane, abusive, etc. I think Reporting is a good idea. It would help Sean establish a pattern of behavior to support 'termination with prejudice'. I would hope Sean knows when that proverbial 'line' has been crossed. I don't want to see stuff here that I see on the newsgroups, that's for sure.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    ..... Personally, I advocate a an "Ignore This Thread" option that would allow me to flush the stupid, purposely disruptive bitch fights from my APUG experience.
    I'd love that facility if it's possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By an odd coincidence, I decided to check out the usenet newsgroups last week. I was struck by how the trolls really have messed things up wherever there is no moderator. There are still some danged knowledgeable people there, but it is not something I want to read. It made me all the more grateful for APUG.

The sad thing is that usenet is a great resource for searching for information. When I went on my recent "soft focus lens" search, I did my usual google-groups (dejanews) search and found some good stuff. Unfortunately, the signal to noise ratio is getting so low that I don't want to read the more recent threads. When I did a regular google search, I found great information--from APUG posts. The lack of trolls and bickering makes this site worthwhile.

Lastly, I don't think that Sean makes enough off this to cover the hassles involved with keeping the site running, much less to compensate for babysitting. So far, Sean seems to be taking a very reasonable approach. However, if Sean decides that justice should be swift and definite, woe be to the trolls. They will get no pity from me.

Thanks Sean, Thanks APUG!

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    BRAC wrote

Will we be having someone expressing congratulations to Prince Charles & Mrs Parker-Bowles on their forthcoming marriage? .

Actually that wasn't what the flaming was about. There were a couple of thread with el Duce in them.

I'm just happy that Prince Charles was able to find someone as ugly as himself to marry. He certainly scoured high and low for that one. She's a beaut.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Michael, Just goes to show once again that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I just wish that he would have gotten an eye exam before now.

Shooter
    Large Format
    i actually thought the zone-antizone thread and the "i dare you to shoot 35mm w/o a meter" thread were kind of funny. that guy really knows how to rattle a cage -

sean, is the arm that gives the "dope-slap" almost there ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    BRAC wrote

I'm just happy that Prince Charles was able to find someone as ugly as himself to marry. He certainly scoured high and low for that one. She's a beaut.
    Michael
    Oy! That's my future King and Queen you are talking about!

Oh crap....

Am I too old to emigrate, Canada? Australia? New Zealand? Heeeeeeeelp!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    His ass has been banned more than once on this site and several times on others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    His ass has been banned more than once on this site and several times on others.
    That's why I'm surprised he keeps coming back. Sean: can't the software ban his IP address? If he's on broadband he will almost certainly get the same IP address every time he connects into his ISP.

Bob.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin