Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,467   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Forum threads designed to provoke..

Hi all,

I am a bit concerned over some recent threads and how they seemed designed to provoke people and cause controversy. This is sometimes known as trolling or baiting. We all know how these threads end up and I feel they should have no place here..

It's pretty easy to tell when a thread is a genuine attempt to make people think vs. something designed to cause controversy. If you feel a thread has been designed to cause problems, then please feel free to make use of the "report" button in the bottom right corner of the posting. I also suggest not replying to the thread and even adding the thread owner to your ignore list.

Thanks, Sean

I find this thread highly controversial.

What about my first amendment rights. What about my right to carry a gun, or club a baby seal.

I have rights, damn it. Hey I'm speaking to you. Don't you ignore me. I got shit to say. And it's damn important.

Ah hell, never mind.

Hey kid, you out there on the street. Your dad still sleeping with your sister? Your moms a hottie. Wanna come in.

Shit it's the UPS guy. Hey dude, your truck looks like%%%$.
    You not busy. Looks like you've gained a ton of weight. They drop that rape charge yet.

Ya later,

Hey, you on the TV..........................

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Sean

I have followed all this over the last week (I have decided to not get involved) one observation that I have ,would be that using ones real name and location, not exact address , should be mandatory for axcess to these wonderful debates. I have no problem with voices of differences , but when arguments start , knowing who is talking is important to me. I can't see the point of shooting the shit with an alias.

This may stop some of the stupid baiting that has gone on lately.
    By not being a registered subscriber , axcess to the gallery is denied. So why not extend it to the forums? Posting ones real name should not be such a big deal.
    By having a real name not an alias attached to these debates may stop some of the bullshit.

Is this a practical idea or not???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I may be sick, and it may make me look bad, but I have gotten a real kick out this last batch. Of course I have also been beating my brains out in front of the computer and those post have been a good area for me to vent without (hopefully) hurting any of the real members.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In high school, Mike began his career in photography, in which he has excelled.

Thanks for the laugh David.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Which threads are we talking about here. The only thread I have read lately that had controversy is the Passport thread, and I don't think that was started to provoke.

Well David,

If that's him, we should ban his ass. What do we need an old dustball like him on this site anyway. There's enough old farts here already with their stupid old antique cameras. Let's get some fresh blood here.

:
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    [SIZE=4]j[/SIZE]

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Hi all,

I am a bit concerned over some recent threads and how they seemed designed to provoke people and cause controversy. This is sometimes known as trolling or baiting. We all know how these threads end up and I feel they should have no place here..

Thanks, Sean
    I've picked up from this site references to some of these but the only one I've come across personally and which I guess is one of those you refer to is that on the Pope. Yes I had my four penny worth on that and don't intend to go back into it. But the fundamental point is that a thread on a political or religious leader, however well meaning the instigator, is bound to be controversial for some. To my mind there are more appropriate forums to express ones feelings and it would be better if APUG stuck to (analogue) photography. After all people rightly jump up & down when anyone here starts a thread on digital photography so why can people apparently raise any subject they want if it's done in "the Lounge" and which have absolutely no relevance to photography? Will we be having someone expressing congratulations to Prince Charles & Mrs Parker-Bowles on their forthcoming marriage? (yes I expect we shall) But seriously would not the answer be to strictly limit threads to things clearly of photographic relevance - that would cut down the problem to some degree.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac
    But seriously would not the answer be to strictly limit threads to things clearly of photographic relevance - that would cut down the problem to some degree.
    It would cut down on the problem, but it is nice to learn about the other members here in ways other than pure photography.

BRAC wrote

Will we be having someone expressing congratulations to Prince Charles & Mrs Parker-Bowles on their forthcoming marriage? .[/QUOTE]

Actually that wasn't what the flaming was about. There were a couple of thread with el Duce in them.

I'm just happy that Prince Charles was able to find someone as ugly as himself to marry. He certainly scoured high and low for that one. She's a beaut.

Michael

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin