Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,417   Online: 740

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been subscribing at the $35 rate for two years now, so maybe I'll increase mine to the next increment next time around.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbroadbridge
    Well the extra $0.33 per month may sound irrelevant but it adds up to an extra $4 a year. Golly gosh, it's lucky you're a mathematician. Maybe you can do the sums for me and work out the additional cost over 5 years.

That $4 makes a difference between me renewing or not.
    $20 bucks I renew, $24 I think about it, and probably don't

If I were Sean, I'd prefer to get people renewing rather than thinking about renewing.

Graham.
    My comment was not made in effort to be snide, but to just break the cost down on a month-to-month basis. If you have personally decided that an extra $0.33/month, $4/year, $20/5 years is too much or you have decided that you would not spend over $20/month for a website that is your business. Breaking down the extra cost was not just for you, but for anyone else that looked at your posting and was thinking about how much it would cost them. Personally, I have contributed much more than $24/year because I learn so much here and because the things I have learned here have saved me much $$$ in trying to reinvent the wheel (i.e. don't use paper X for pd/pt printing because it won't work). I am sorry you took my posting as a personal affront and that you don't feel the knowledge and community available here at Apug are worth the extra, but I do hope you stay as a member if not a subscriber--the more analog photogs the better.

ps: I am not a mathematician nor do I play one on tv.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The way I see it, nearly everyone who comes to this site has complained about the increasing lack of content geared towards photographers using "traditional" materials and equipment in the available photo magazines. $24 is a little more than a yearly subscription to "Popular (Digital) Photography Adzine" or "Outdoor Digital Photographer" or any of the other periodicals that are readily available. $24 is less than the cost of the U.K. and Aussie mags that deal with mostly analog content - at least to have them delivered here to the States. On APUG, for my $24, I get all the technical information I could hope for regarding photographic materials and their uses, including a huge backlog of "back issues" that I can access easily with the search function - at no extra cost. If I can't find what I'm looking for through a search I can ask my question in a thread and get assistance from some great (and some not-so-great) photographic minds here at APUG, and those answers I receive will then become part of the wealth of information of which others can avail themselves. Additionally, I get to peruse the Gallery at my leisure and find joy, inspiration, boredom, and sometimes a well needed kick in the ass brought on by the work of other members.

So, when I add all that up, and realize how much moola I'm saving by not subscribing to frustrating hard copy photo magazines, I find that I come out well ahead for my investment.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I've been subscribing at the $35 rate for two years now, so maybe I'll increase mine to the next increment next time around.
    I have two of those going, so maybe I'll up both this next time as well. What are a couple less stops at starbucks, but less going to waist! ( I meant waist not waste, for those who like to critique my spelling)

Graham If need be and your stretched too thin, I can add an extra $4 to cover what you can't. You'll help out my figure!
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Someone mentioned you can't put it on the shelf. When I find a thread that is pertinent to something I want to explore, I either make a hardcopy and file it in three ring binder or put it on my APUG "Greatest Hits" CD. I could cull enough good information and discussion in one day to fill the pages of all the traditional mags combined for one issue.

Like anything, you get out of something what you put into it. Not money but the time and effort to contribute and learn.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find life is to short and the information available on this website to valuable to worry about $4.00 over the span of a year, there is just to much being offered here that you can't find anywhere else..When you think about it, Illford is offering their weekend shop for a cost of $300 and you add travel time, food expenses, lodging and all the extras that go along with a weekend in a workshop, the cost of Apug for a whole year is virtually nothing...

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    The extra ~$0.33/month is pushing it a bit? And in the recent discussion the original $20 price point was changed to $24/year to make partial year subscriptions $2/month instead of $1.667/month and there were no objections based on the increase from $20->$24.
    At this point, it is best to hear honest replies to whether a $24 subscription is too much. It is easy to say that you will be willing to pay it. It is hard to come right out and say you won't. We need to hear from as many people who are on the fence or will not pay the $24 and understand how many people and why.

It is simple economics--for every dollar more for the subscription, fewer people will subscribe. At some point, there is a net loss in total cash. A second order effect is that if some good posters leave, more people will decide that the site isn't worth $24.

I can well remember a time when $24 would have been more that I would have been willing to pay. That time isn't now, but I can understand the thought.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm willing to pay the $24 a year, if for nothing else than to hear some of the replies to questions no one I know can answer. If a question saves $10 worth of paper, time, film and developer, it is certainly worth the cost to me. No one in town where I live can answer some of the questions which I see so regularly. Rodinal, azo, pyrocat, forte, J&C, kodak, alternative process, how to...... It is a repository of knowledge, people and work which I value.

To ask Sean to pay for this site and his time away from his family, then get nothing back seems a bit selfish to me. He has put in countless hours with software, ideas, the coming sales gallery and too many changes to begin to list. I would hope everyone will take a step back and look at it as a resource which is limitless. tim

P.S. This has been a terrible year for me and my family for money, but it is one "luxury" which I am not willing to part company with at this point.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gbroadbridge
    Well the extra $0.33 per month may sound irrelevant but it adds up to an extra $4 a year. Golly gosh, it's lucky you're a mathematician. Maybe you can do the sums for me and work out the additional cost over 5 years.

That $4 makes a difference between me renewing or not.
    $20 bucks I renew, $24 I think about it, and probably don't

If I were Sean, I'd prefer to get people renewing rather than thinking about renewing.

Graham.
    If you are getting no benefit from APUG then dont subscribe. OTOH if you have a special interest and you have been helped by anybody here, or plan on trying something where you will need help, then you need to balance the cost of susbcribing for a year against the cost of a workshop.

When I started printing with pt/pd both Clay and Kerik were invaluable on giving me tips and helping me out, experience they shared freely with me here and by e mail for which they get paid normally in workshops. If I had been forced to take a workshop with them, or Arentz, I figure I would have spent about $1500 when you factor in plane, lodging, rental car, in addition to the workshop fee. This comes to about 60 years of APUG subscriptions at $25.

There are really many benefits to APUG which are not economic in nature. For example I am not very knowledgeable with computers, I recently bought an Agfa scanner that needed an SCSI card, not knowing anything about them I went to E bay and there was about a million of them of all different kinds, instead of spending 3 days learning about them and trying to figure out what would work, I asked Jeremy for help. He packed one and sent it to me! Where else could I have found help like this? How much would a technician have charged me if I had taken the pc in and asked him to set it up right?

Like the Master Card ad says, "scanner, $20. Getting the scanner to work, priceless!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well put Jorge. Hmm, to show my support... I shall institute an new employee benefit. You shall see 2 new subscribers
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin