Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,370   Online: 1178

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    The site is coming along nicely Sean.

I have one problem thought. When you click on "PHOTOGRAPHERS" to view the different photographers in the site, it randomly mixes them each time you refresh the page. On the MAIN SITE this is okay, but it causes a problem when viewing the different photographers because you will look at the photographers on the 1st page, then click NEXT to go to page 2 of the photographer, and the computer will mix them again and you looking at the same photographer that were just on page one!!!

Might want to do something about this

Again, I love the idea how the images change on the main page everytime you refresh. Thats a good idea.

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Ryan, I noticed that too and it should be fixed soon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a newbie to APUG and certainly can't be of help regarding fine art prints, which I am only about to learn, but I do have some (8 years) experience in web-design and marketing stuff. So here's my 2 cents:

- The general idea of the site is excellent, imho. Traditional photographs -- nothing else. I'm looking forward to see more excellent work on that site. Most photographers don't have the money or the skill to set up a site like that to sell their prints.

- From a web-design point-of-view, I would not recommend gradient, but solid colors for the site. Especially gradients used as backdrop for text (where at the moment is the red "under construction" warning) are tricky.

- My major suggestion would be to increase the size of the images in the gallery. I think they are too small to convince prospective buyers. They are around 460 pixels now, you should go for 800 in my opinion. I know this is an issue of copyright, image-theft etc. However, I think more business will be created if you provided higher resolution previews of the prints people might want to buy. Many of you guys are large format photographers, you know what impact a "large" photograph has. From a web-design and marketing point-of-view, this is easy to explain: The same print, 50cm x 60cm, appeals to more (general audience) people than a small 10 x 18 cm print. Same with pictures on the web. They want to see what they are going to buy, at least get an idea of it. A larger picture on the screen is simply more impressive, shows more detail, and buyers want to be impressed. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned regarding image theft. I noticed your renaming the JPGs to .php files etc. However, if it's a private site "stealing" the image, it might be a fan of your pictures, driving more attention to it. That can be dealt with a few e-mails and be to everyone's benefit. In case of commercial sites, you can sue them, should it ever come to that.

Anyway, just wanted to provide some input in case it hasn't been mentioned or discussed previously (and I didn't miss the button for a larger picture preview).

I truly hope this new site will drive some attention to the photographers and also make some good money to pay everybody involved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A question about color work. If working from Transparencies, would only an Ilfochrome print be acceptable as traditional. Or is a scan and a Chromira or Lightjet print from that scan acceptable. Other than that, I feel the site is looking great and will be a valuable resource for many seller/photographers/artists and buyers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Jones
    A question about color work. If working from Transparencies, would only an Ilfochrome print be acceptable as traditional. Or is a scan and a Chromira or Lightjet print from that scan acceptable. Other than that, I feel the site is looking great and will be a valuable resource for many seller/photographers/artists and buyers.
    Basically the must be no digital involvement in any part of the work. Some color guys are hand printing onto fuji crystal archive, but yes for transparencies you don't have many options. Thanks

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sean- any chance of a reply to the issue I raised here yesterday please?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Henderson
    Sean- any chance of a reply to the issue I raised here yesterday please?
    My personal take is that this isn't an issue, as long as the prints are traditionally created, which you state they are.

Sean, of course, has the last say on this.

I've signed up for the gallery too....
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Henderson
    My b&w FB prints are made for me . Does this disqualify me from participating in this venture. They are of course entirely analogue.
    Hi David, I'm not sure what you mean, sorry.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think he means that he doesn't do his own printing, though I thought at first that he might mean that he only makes prints for himself, which was confusing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I think he means that he doesn't do his own printing, though I thought at first that he might mean that he only makes prints for himself, which was confusing.
    Ah, I see. Well, I think if you have the print made then it is a collaboration of sorts so should be listed photographer -john doe printed by- joe bloggs

What do you guys think?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin