Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,155   Posts: 1,658,232   Online: 1015

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

server time issue -update

time had to be fixed again, apparently this same issue is affecting 7+ servers. I hope it does not go out again while i sleep. The host is as fed up with it as I am and is in talks with the datacenter now to get to the bottom of it once and for all. Will post updates as I get them. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean -

Thanks for the diligence in staying on top of things for us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are they syncing to a time server? I had problems once with an intermittent connection to an off site time server and ended up setting up an in house server which had connected to a primary site source plus several alternate options in case the main was down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    *update

Hi guys, current status is the time is ok until we're rebooted then it goes out. Last night a tech at the datacenter did this and i could not get hold of my host. Our host basically rents rack space a huge datacenter and server management is done between the datacenter and the host (this is quite common in the webhosting world the datacenter manages hardware and the host manages the software). So our server was restarted by a datacenter tech and it took a while for me to get hold of the host to reset the time back. We have the hardware guys scheduled to replace our dead cmos battery on Monday so the time sticks. The good news is I now have full access to the apug server which means if server time goes out again before the battery is replaced I can login to the server myself and update the time rather then waiting on support to do it. If anyone notices the time out feel free to use the apug "contact us" link at the top right of the site. This has all been very frustrating so thanks for hanging in there. Sean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sean,

First thanks for keeping us updated and keeping on top of things, it is a pleasure to be associated with someone who cares so much.

Now onto the CMOS battery issue, I don't quite understand why they are having so many problems with it, with my servers I have a monitoring system that tells me when I have a low CMOS battery and normally I contact my support people and do a reboot in the middle of the night and replace and reset the time...have they it explained to you why they are having so much difficulty with a situation, that at best should only take about 5 minutes to fix.

Not a complaint by all means, but as a server hosting company, I am gettin real confused..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Sean,

First thanks for keeping us updated and keeping on top of things, it is a pleasure to be associated with someone who cares so much.

Now onto the CMOS battery issue, I don't quite understand why they are having so many problems with it, with my servers I have a monitoring system that tells me when I have a low CMOS battery and normally I contact my support people and do a reboot in the middle of the night and replace and reset the time...have they it explained to you why they are having so much difficulty with a situation, that at best should only take about 5 minutes to fix.

Not a complaint by all means, but as a server hosting company, I am gettin real confused..

Dave
    Not sure Dave the server is a brand new dell blade with dual 3ghz hyperthreading cpu's, etc, so you'd think it would have some monitoring. However it appears the issue may have been software related all along. I was given some detailed info from our very own apugger "ras351" which I passed onto the host, it looks like his fix has worked. HUGE thanks to Roger for his linux guruness! They apparently did a test reboot and the time stayed correct. Fingers crossed we are all set and can enjoy some stability now.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin