Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,234   Online: 836

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Now potential new members can no longer see the soapbox. unregistered members can not see it, registered members can not see it and now only subscribers with 5 posts under their belt can see it. So this should tackle most of the 1st impression issues. Everything David and Flotsam say above is pretty spot on. Without the soapbox I think we'd have trouble keeping moderators on board and keeping dustups out of the general forums..
    I may be missing the point here (it's late) but if only subscribers with 5 posts can see it, does that mean that subscribers with less and people who are members but not subscribers will now post their controversial contributions in places other than the soapbox (because they can't see it)? If so, that seems rather to defeat the stated object.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If they do, the posts will be deleted or moved to the SoapBox, where they won't be able to participate in their own discussion, but so be it.

Infrequent posters tend not to be too big of an issue in any case, because, after all, they're infrequent posters.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Trying to build up to 5 posts and not be a big issue in any case.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I don't go there at all anymore.
    I'm trying to build up to 5 posts so I can go there - life without the soap box makes me a dull boy and the APUG just so-so....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made 3 posts to a recent thread which was moved to the soapbox after my first post.

The second post took about 1/2 hour to appear there. It was in limbo while it was being 'inspected'.

The third has not appeared yet and it has been 12 hours. Now, I suspect that either the inspector 'censored' it, or it was lost, or you guys are very busy. That is certainly acceptable in any case, but I felt that if 'censored' the poster should be informed, and if lost somehow, you moderators should know that something went wrong.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    If they do, the posts will be deleted or moved to the SoapBox, where they won't be able to participate in their own discussion, but so be it.

Infrequent posters tend not to be too big of an issue in any case, because, after all, they're infrequent posters.
    It all seems a bit like Alice in Wonderland (Alice in APUG?) but why am I worrying, it's all academic as far as I am concerned.

Images
    I thought the soap box was not supposed to show up in the recent posts? It is showing up in mine.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    I made 3 posts to a recent thread which was moved to the soapbox after my first post.

The second post took about 1/2 hour to appear there. It was in limbo while it was being 'inspected'.

The third has not appeared yet and it has been 12 hours. Now, I suspect that either the inspector 'censored' it, or it was lost, or you guys are very busy. That is certainly acceptable in any case, but I felt that if 'censored' the poster should be informed, and if lost somehow, you moderators should know that something went wrong.

PE
    "What went wrong" is that the moderation is through a separate login - a separate window and a different address - and we don't go in there very often. I know I rarely do, but admit I should try to check in more often.

I've "validated" them now. Will check there later today, too...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole;

Thanks. There is obviously no rush. It is a matter of helping you insure that things go right and just getting used to something new.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I thought the soap box was not supposed to show up in the recent posts? It is showing up in mine.
    Hmmm....I thought so too. Maybe that idea hasn't been implemented or caused other problems, so Sean may have turned it off. If you don't want it in your recent posts, you can set it to "ignore."

I think I need to set up a dummy account, because sometimes I'm not sure what the site looks like to someone who isn't a moderator.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin