Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,630   Online: 1118

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Soap Box Forum Access Changes

Hello All,

Due to concerns over the soap box seriously impacting new members impression of APUG I have decided to lock it down a bit more.

Previous Access:
    open to all registered members

New Access:
    open to apug subscribers who have atleast 5 or more posts in the forums

*If you are a subscriber who only 'lurks' and does not post just PM me and I can add your access to the soap box if you need it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Missed the other post about the soap box and have had it on ignore since it is the same boring arguments over and over. But decided to check it out.

All I can say is PU!

In light of a couple of the last threads in there I can see why someone might stumble on to it and never come back to APUG. It really is becoming a cesspool.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree. I love APUG and the soap box does NOTHING for it. It just duplicates the screaming that goes on, 24/7, on cable TV. I threw away my TV.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    I agree. I love APUG and the soap box does NOTHING for it. It just duplicates the screaming that goes on, 24/7, on cable TV. I threw away my TV.
    I disagree. It is a good outlet for a lot whining and a gathering place for massive self-righteous indignation that otherwise stays out of the regular APUG threads.

I agree with the policy of taking it off the front page.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heck, I put the soap box on ignore when it first came about, and have never figured out how to take if off ignore, so no effects on me, besides I really don't take alot of the nastiness posted in certain areas very seriously..now back to my surreal life...

LOL

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It starts looking like an overfull toilet: better flush it before it smears the wall. Perhaps an auto-delete function? Do you guys think keeping an archive of such discussions might be useful in the long term?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Other changes enacted are that Soap Box threads don't show up in the "New Posts" list or in searches, so even if they are archived, they won't come up on APUG searches. So if you really want to play in the Soap Box, you have to go looking for it. Mephistopheles only enters after he's been invited in three times, after all.

An expiration date on Soap Box posts, though, isn't necessarily a bad idea, so they don't come up in Google or other searches.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is a Soap Box?

LOL

Greg
    Looking is a gift, but seeing is power.

Buster6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Morbid curiosity got the better of me, so I took it off ignore long enough to go in a take a quick look. I don't think it's proper at all to compare the Soap Box to an overflowing toilet - such a comparison is completely unfair to the toilet.
    Safely back on "ignore" where it belongs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I occasionally pop in to see which mode of insanity is fashionable this season. Otherwise, it is on ignore and I made a solemn vow to myself not to post when I do take one of my little voyeuristic peeks...

If it is to remain, I do very much like the idea of killing older threads; perhaps everything over a month old could go in to the bin?

Cheers, Bob.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin