Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,071   Online: 725

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Dell Sucks! (I like the word sucks it is so to the point) I too have had one of their laptops, which was delivered without all the parts ordered on it. Everytime I had to try and get the proper part they would tell me "You get what you pay for" to which I would reply, "No I didn't that is the problem." It took 8 months for them to send me the correct parts, and then it became a doorstop due to multiple failures withint another 8 months. My son had a desktop from them. He had more problems than I did. He finally gave up and built one of his won from scratch.
    I hear ya, unfortunately they've got the mid-range server market cornered. All you can do in my price range is roll the dice and hope your server wasn't assembled on monday! The last 2 dells we had were pretty reliable and all of our previous outages were network and 1 hard drive failure. Fingers crossed this one does ok..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    Would the chatroom be open only to subscribers? Thanks for the hard work!
    No, the emergency chatroom is always just an open java chat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I hear ya, unfortunately they've got the mid-range server market cornered. All you can do in my price range is roll the dice and hope your server wasn't assembled on monday! The last 2 dells we had were pretty reliable and all of our previous outages were network and 1 hard drive failure. Fingers crossed this one does ok..
    They may command the market, but there are other options. Sun even offers some nice mid-range Opteron servers. You at least buy machines with ECC memory, right?

I've personally seen data corruption with MySQL and have heard it from others too. Doesn't seem terribly robust. I guess you get what you pay for (which in the case of MySQL, is quite a bit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    great work sean!

thanks a million!
    -john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    yup
    Do you have update logging enabled?

The webmail database for the university I work for failed on me one time and was corrupted beyond repair. Along with our nightly backups, we also store all update logging on a separate log server (a year's worth of logs). When our database failed, we recovered the backup from the night before and applied all updates right up until the time of the corruption.

By the way, great work!

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well done Sean, I was wondering what had happened. Makes my mail lost in Outlook Express mentioned elsewhere look a puny problem !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ........ and thanks from me too Sean & thanks for coinciding perfectly the breakdown with my four day trip to the country!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You have my...

Respect & Gratitude!

Shooter
    35mm
    Sterling work. Anyone wondering whether to continue to subscribe should have found this focussed their attention as they say, when they had to manage for about 36 hours without APUG. So if we all realise its value even more than before then some good may have come out of it.

By the way can I take it that it is all back to normal in terms of running speed etc. The reason I ask is that I have already lost one reply when attempting to send to Arigram and the response rate has gone back to the very slow rate it was at before the changeover.

It is certainly not back to what it was but this may be coincidentally my ISP provider.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Sean.
    Brian McDowell

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin