Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,113   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

APUG.ORG OUTAGE NOTICE

APUG.ORG OUTAGE NOTICE

We are recovering from catastrophic hardware failure which had also
    unfortunately corrupted our primary data and backup data (worst case scenario pretty much). We have been working around the clock to get the site back up. Currently we have recovered a good filesystem from the 15th and good databases from just before the crash. The problems began with faulty hardware, surprisingly on a brand new high end server. Possibly a combination of faulty ram and a faulty primary disk. Over the past day or so the owner of the hosting company has personally worked with me and other
    unix techs on the issue for over 30hrs straight. We are now on a new
    server and partially up and running. The host is very distraught over this outage and is sending the server back to Dell demanding a full analysis and 'post mortem' as they call it in IT. He has also given us a month free of hosting. This is some horrible bad luck we've had and luckily our provider did not just give us a "sorry, your data is corrupted nothing we can do" and leave us hanging. They spent about 12hrs working on a disk to recover our databases not to mention setting up a new server as quickly as possible. Needless to say many new things will be put in place to ensure a better disaster recovery system for us. Still working on things so better run. Thank you for your patience, very sorry for the length of the outage.

Sean
    Last edited by Sean; 07-23-2006 at 06:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quit being a Hero and go have a nap

Murray

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perfectly said Murray.
    Keep up the good work Sean but don't burn the candle in both ends.

jan

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a breather. At a certain point working becomes less productive than resting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was told once the best way to fix a faulty server after a catastrophic failure such as you describe.

12 guage with 00 buckshot.

Thanks for being there when Murphy's Law strikes.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thank you for all your work. One really appreciates what this site has to offer when it is offline for even a short while. I was starting to get the DT's. Hope you get a rest soon.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Bummer to be sure. Glad site is back up and thanks for working so hard to do so. I missed this place while it was down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    APUG.ORG OUTAGE NOTICE

We are recovering from catastrophic hardware failure which had also
    unfortunately corrupted our primary data and backup data (worst case scenario pretty much)....

The problems began with faulty hardware, surprisingly on a brand new high end server. Possibly a combination of faulty ram and a faulty primary disk....

The host is very distraught over this outage and is sending the server back to Dell demanding a full analysis and 'post mortem' as they call it in IT. Sean
    No wonder Dell's stock price took a major dive into the crapper on Friday!

Thanks for all your efforts Sean. When the gremlins hit, it always seems to be worst case scenario in my experience.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ditto to what CRhymer said.
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Sean, Your efforts are appreciated. Have some well deserved rest.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin