Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,954   Online: 793

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

*POSTPONED* POSSIBLE FORUM SOFTWARE UPGRADE THIS WEEKEND

Hi All,

I was going to put this off a little longer in light of our recent server woes but an opportunity to upgrade the forum this weekend has presented itself. I have what would be described as a master php coder/vbulletin forum expert hired to be a part of the upgrade. I have prepped most of the files already but for the actual upgrade prefer to have an expert on board to make sure everything goes without a hitch. He can fit me in this weekend or in September so I'd rather get the bulk of the upgrade done now. Unfortunately this means forum posting, gallery posting, and classifieds posting could be locked for most if not all of the weekend. A temporary chatroom will be in place during this upgrade.

The basic plan will be:
    -confirm upgrade is on
    -lock the site down
    -backup the site files and databases and confirm the backups are good
    -begin the upgrade process
    -bring the site back online but keep it in a locked state and start readding some of our more popular modifications and new functionality.

This is mainly the forum software upgrade and some design upgrades. Soon to follow will be the gallery, classifieds, articles, blogs, etc. My main concern is to get us on the new forum software then spend the next week or so finishing out the sitewide upgrades.

Thanks!
    Sean
    Last edited by Sean; 07-28-2006 at 09:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Damn newlyweds.

I'm almost raw.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fingers (and various other extremities) crossed - good luck!

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The ugrade has been postponed until further notice. We had a server crash while backing up some data, so will investigate this and ensure the server is stable for a few weeks before attempting the upgrade again. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    The ugrade has been postponed until further notice. We had a server crash while backing up some data, so will investigate this and ensure the server is stable for a few weeks before attempting the upgrade again. Thanks
    Clearly I didn't cross enough extremities (but the ones I didn't cross tend to make my eyes water when I do)....

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Clearly I didn't cross enough extremities (but the ones I didn't cross tend to make my eyes water when I do)....
    No pain, no gain Bob...suck it up and take one for the team!

Murray

P.S. Sean...compared to your enduring a nine-to-five job, even with these hick-ups you must be having a blast

I for one can't wait to see what you've envisioned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having been through a number of these with financial systems, I fully understand all the 'awshits!' that go into the process. Sounds like you are doing it right - making sure everything will work. Keep up the good work and good luck. Looking forward to the upgrades when you are fully ready - just don't kill yourself in the process.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sean, you have my sympathy. We are going through two CMS deployments, a Server 2003 upgrade, and MS Project/Server/Web Access deployment all at the same time. I had forgotten how much time was available between the hours of midnight and 7AM...
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin