Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,962   Online: 774

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

fyi- temporarily locking the site to anonymous/unregistered browsing

Hi All,

I'm going to lock the site to anonymous browsing so I can observe how this affects performance. I might do this for an hour or so. Thanks, Sean

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Hi All,

I'm going to lock the site to anonymous browsing so I can observe how this affects performance. I might do this for an hour or so. Thanks, Sean
    Still locked as of right now. Don't keep it locked because otherwise the APUG userbase will plateau. Nobody wants to register to check out a site for the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Mike,

Yes, I still have anonymous browsing locked for now. Server load has decreased by about 60% since getting these bots blocked, and registrations to the site have literally doubled since locking things from anonymous browsers. Kind of makes me wonder if we should go back to the old way. What I'd like to do is is make most of the site available to anonymous users except the forum, but have the text based search engine forum design (called the archive) open to all. Since the forum archive is all text based the search engines would index it without killing our server and send prospective members on the net to the archive version, if they like what they see they could register for the full version. I'd like to hear more feedback from the community on their views of this. Thanks, Sean

Images
    Sean, what you said, sounds good to me. I'm not offended registering at sites with good data.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean. You do what you need to do! It's no problem to me. Regards, Blights
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds good to me. Prospective subscribers need to see what the forum content is like but then make up their minds to subscribe or not. If they want to be active and enjoy the benefits of interaction then they join.

If your car breaks down would you expect to be able to ask a question of about why it has and what to do about it and get answers from a pool of thousands of mechanics for free?

Same should apply here.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    just to clarify, registration will remain free. a free registration gets access to the forums, subscriptions get access to other parts of the site but the forums will remain free. This lockdown is not to make apug subscriber only just to make it registration only..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is what you are doing at the moment affecting the chatroom?

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    Is what you are doing at the moment affecting the chatroom?

Hans
    it should not affect it at all. I suspect something might be wrong with the chat service, I'll have a look..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin