Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,128   Online: 1207

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    ok things aren't looking good. coder has run into problems with the new navigation system and doesn't want to upgrade until it's sorted out. I think i'll just stop announcing we're going to upgrade and do it when it's ready. Pretty angry at the moment grrrrr...
    No one other than you needs to know in advance. Take it down when you are all ready to go, put up a dummy front page saying the site is down and when it is expected back up and leave it at that. It'll be a nice surprise...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Are you running any ad blocking software or plugins? If so you may have trouble with the sponsors page, etc

Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Have to look into that. I don't usually go to the link from my home site (tighter than at work!) so yes, I may have an ad blocker at play.

Sorry for the distraction - but would rather keep my "blocker" on - if you know what I mean!
    Sean,

You're diagnosis was correct! Here at office I do see the icon links on the sponsor page. Using IE here. At home I use Firefox with ad blocker.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Sean,

Sympathies!

And a small request: could you possibly add a GMT estimate and date?

Working out 'midnight tonight' from your post took more mental arithmetic than I could manage just after getting up. What does the site run on? NZ time? I'm not even sure which DAY it was...

Anyway, looking forward to the new site.

Cheers,

R.
    Actually, only the British still refer to GMT nowadays. The rest of us call it UTC (Universal Time Coordinate). Just ask you friendly ham radio operator from Copake!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the other hand, try asking anyone around the world who isn't a Ham Radio operator or in posession of other techy credentials what "UTC" stands for and watch the blank faces... It's not even spelt the right way around for a English speaker (Coordinated Universal Time)... It's "UTC" because that's the way it is in French grammar (as in NATO becomes OTAN in France).

Besides, by the only gauge that really matters, Google has 5 times the number of hits for GMT as the number of UTC hits.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    And Zulu Time...

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    On the other hand, try asking anyone around the world who isn't a Ham Radio operator or in posession of other techy credentials what "UTC" stands for and watch the blank faces... It's not even spelt the right way around for a English speaker (Coordinated Universal Time)... It's "UTC" because that's the way it is in French grammar (as in NATO becomes OTAN in France).

Besides, by the only gauge that really matters, Google has 5 times the number of hits for GMT as the number of UTC hits.

Cheers, Bob.
    You are, in part, correct.

If you listen to the automated time announcement each minute on WWV (the US government time standard) - the robot does say "At the tone the time is XX hours and YY minutes, Coordinated Universal Time."

But general written usage, even in English, is "UTC" - yes, from the French acronym. Maybe because "CUT" looks dumb?

As to the Google GMT "hits" that would hardly seem relevant. More people (you Brits) refer to GMT on a daily basis. Besides, probably a lot of those "hits" are listings of those innumerable GMT time references made BBC news "readers" at the end of every friggin' story!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sympathies and best wishes from me too.

I agree, it would help with any of these announcements (not just server outages) if the predicted date was set out in the thread title, rather than using just "tonight". Some times when I'm looking for an update on something, I'll actually go into the forums themselves. It is hard to tell the "todays" or "tonights" apart.

I guess if something is scheduled for midnight, it might be clearer too if you used 11:59 p.m. .

I know, it's the anally retentive lawyer/physics graduate in me - I just can't help it!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are we upgraded? Is it safe to go back into the waters?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin