Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,226   Online: 914

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    I don't like the idea of dividing by camera make. What was broken in the RF forum that needed fixing?

Best,
    Helen
    Helen, you are evil personified and obviously not a right-thinking person.

I like your posts very much, please continue thinking clearly and posting useful information.

Best,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't like the idea of dividing by camera make. What was broken in the RF forum that needed fixing?

Best,
    Helen
    Well, lessee.

A thread begins, " I wonder what the difference is between and early and late summicron . Innnocent enough.

What follows is usually 14 posts about Leicas being overpriced, 12 about Feds being every bit as good, and 32 about know a guy whose dog ate a Leica strap and died.

When I was a kid, and on a steep learning curve, an old pro showed me three or four little tricks about handling a rangefinder - in about 5 minutes - that made life worth living, and paid off immediately for me.

Try getting into technique without being attacked for owning a rangefinder, a Leica / Contax / Fed instead of a Pentax 6x7.

That sort of thing gets lost in the Leica hate, history trivia, and general whitenoise of impassioned correspondents. Maybe, just maybe, having sub-forums will allow conversations to be a little more to the point, civil, and helpful.

With the result a few more feet of Tri X gets shot from old cameras, new cameras, and our dying craft gets a little more sustenance.

At least the Moderator has some context.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Helen, you are evil personified..."

Thanks for the compliment Dan, I try my best.

df,
    Could you give us a link to a thread on APUG like the one you have just described? Here's an example of one that didn't go that way. Isn't what you are describing a photo.net Leica forum phenomenon rather than an APUG phenomenon, or am I suffering from selective memory?

Re the death rate among dogs that eat Leica straps: you may think that is trivial, but I believe that it is a disgrace that the public must be made aware of at every opportunity. In fact, it should have its own sub-forum.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Best,
    Helen
    Helen,

I think I understand some of your concern.

I generally support the expansion by camera-type in the RF forum but I'm hoping it doesn't become a mine-is-better-than-yours battleground.

The division does make sense as a means of organizing information relevant to only one particular brand of RF. It hopefully will make it a little quicker and easier to obtain what is rather arcane info of interest to relatively few.

There can never be completely "clean lines" of organizing the sub fora because there are FSU-clones of Leica and Contax. Similarly, the Nikon/Contax and Canon/Leica Screwmount relationships further complicate matters: (e.g. Query: Is a Contax Zeiss Sonnar 50mm/1.5 compatible with a Nikon S2? -- yes/no, but.... Or, what about a Nikkor 3.5cm/2.5 - can I use in on my Kiev 4? ).

I mention this only because I have a Nikon S2 and SP, a Contax IIIa and a Kiev 4. Oh, and yes, two Bessa R2S's!

Overall, I think a division by brand makes the best sense of what is a very complex camera type. If only because there doesn't seem to be any better form of organization of sub-fora that would seem preferable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dividing the forums up by lens mount may work better.

Also if any other forum is going to be broken up, the color forum should be broken up into slide and negative sections.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm still waiting for the genre forums--just to move more of the discussion away from the gear.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wouldn't mind seeing a 'genre' forum where anyone with webspace of their own could post photos and get comments. I know that some people here who are just members without subscriber accounts (including me) don't really need to use the gallery because we have access to our own. A forum where we could get critique and comment would be something I'd throw my support behind 100%.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Group by lens mount ?

FED and Leica use the same mount, yet are incompatible,
    Nikon and Contax use the same mount, yet are incompatible.

Sean got it right. Let's give it a shot.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    By "genre forums," I really had in mind a set of discussion forums organized by genre--portrait, still life, street, landscape, macro, etc.--whatever people find useful. Of course image discussions could happen there ("how do I solve this problem?"), as they do in the current forums using attachments, but I don't see it as a set of critique forums.

Also, I don't mean this as a subset of the Rangefinder forum, but a separate set of forums.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any other ideas would be appreciated. And anyone who wants to suggest another forum (or the removal of one, for that matter) may do so. I think that we have the main ones taken care of, but I like to get feedback from everyone.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin