Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,300   Online: 848

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    By "genre forums," I really had in mind a set of discussion forums organized by genre--portrait, still life, street, landscape, macro, etc.--whatever people find useful. Of course image discussions could happen there ("how do I solve this problem?"), as they do in the current forums using attachments, but I don't see it as a set of critique forums.
    I know what you were thinking. I just added another aspect I thought would be nice.

I'd love a space where I could get critique and comments on my work without using the gallery. This isn't because I don't want to subscribe...I'm actually planning to again. It's that I like to keep all my stuff on my own webspace so that when something gets looked at my hit count goes up. Then I have, in one place, how much people are looking at my work. It lets me keep track of what's successful and what isn't without having to go to five different websites to tally up results.

Just another thing to think about. Not saying that it has to be done, but it would be an interesting and most likely welcome addition.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Group by lens mount ?

FED and Leica use the same mount, yet are incompatible,
    Nikon and Contax use the same mount, yet are incompatible.

Sean got it right. Let's give it a shot.
    Good points which is why I too think Sean called it right.

But if we were to see the "35mm..." forum now evolve into a "SLR forum" then sub-fora by lens mount type would make some sense given the many 3rd-party producers of compatible lenses and bodies for the "big guys".....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    By "genre forums," I really had in mind a set of discussion forums organized by genre--portrait, still life, street, landscape, macro, etc.--whatever people find useful. Of course image discussions could happen there ("how do I solve this problem?"), as they do in the current forums using attachments, but I don't see it as a set of critique forums.

Also, I don't mean this as a subset of the Rangefinder forum, but a separate set of forums.
    I agree this would be very useful.
    Carol

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!" - Lady MacBeth

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I didn't see any brand flame war here as many as other places so far, but the sub forum should be a good idea to start, set up a Canon and Nikon forum and watch them beat each others brain out.

This would be my only concern.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reiterating my request, since I think it's being swamped....Toy Camera Forum, please.

Thanks, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    But if we were to see the "35mm..." forum now evolve into a "SLR forum" then sub-fora by lens mount type would make some sense given the many 3rd-party producers of compatible lenses and bodies for the "big guys".....
    Maybe, but if someone were looking for info on a 3rd party lens that comes in four different mounts, as most of them seem to these days, it wouldn't necessarily matter whether they discussed it under the Nikon, EOS, Pentax, etc. mount forum.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Subforums and hidden states

Slightly off-topic:

If I tick the box, not wanting to see the RF forum, I still have to tick all the boxes for the various subforums to not have them show up in my "new posts". Same goes for Member organized functions. And the Grey Area. I can accept that, but when I save, do I need to log out and in again for it to work as it should?

Because when I enter the Forum Visibility Edit Mode again after saving, all tick-the-boxes I have done for the subforums are gone, and the posts from the subforums show up in my "new posts".
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Well, lessee.
    Maybe, just maybe, having sub-forums will allow conversations to be a little more to the point, civil, and helpful.
    df.

I am afraid this idea won't work. As long as this list of the last xxx posts since my last visit is offered (which does make sense), it can always happen that any dumb Leica haters attention is attracted by a thread in the Leica sub-forum and he drops in to say his irrelevant opinion tho ge has not really the right to do so.

I still cannot see any sense in dividing the forum in makes, because my experience is that the majority in photo forum is interested not only in the make he owns himself but in others too, for what reason ever.
    And I have heard that even of folks in the Leica crowd are interested in other makes.

In general I would consider this sort of make segregation ideas as contraproductive to a forum idea, which should be a platform for an effective information interchange .

And as an ordering argument you don't need the subforums either, a good retrieval function finds everything in the archives.

Last not least, diversifying the forum to all kinda makes and models is a first step towards a camera site, would be a pity, because this is and should stay a real nice photography site.

bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rfshootist
    df.

I am afraid this idea won't work. As long as this list of the last xxx posts since my last visit is offered (which does make sense), it can always happen that any dumb Leica haters attention is attracted by a thread in the Leica sub-forum and he drops in to say his irrelevant opinion tho ge has not really the right to do so.

I still cannot see any sense in dividing the forum in makes, because my experience is that the majority in photo forum is interested not only in the make he owns himself but in others too, for what reason ever.
    And I have heard that even of folks in the Leica crowd are interested in other makes.

In general I would consider this sort of make segregation ideas as contraproductive to a forum idea, which should be a platform for an effective information interchange .

And as an ordering argument you don't need the subforums either, a good retrieval function finds everything in the archives.

Last not least, diversifying the forum to all kinda makes and models is a first step towards a camera site, would be a pity, because this is and should stay a real nice photography site.

bertram
    Well nothing is set in stone, it is quite easy to merge them all back into one if it doesn't work out well. The forum visibility stuff is getting a total overhaul in the next version. You basically have a text list of all forums in your apug options, you simply highlight the forums you no longer want to see and save the changes, very nice..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It sounds like the next version will be very nice indeed. I can't wait.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin