Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,506   Online: 693

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I think "hybrid" as a means of "traditionally" printing digital images is a bit of a cart before the horse for most of us here who, contrarily, are desparately trying to keep the film art alive - no matter how we work with the resultant images!
    Traditionally printing images from a DSLR is backwards from the way I do things, but ...

When I first heard of the site, I assumed that "hybrid" meant a generalized combination of traditional and digital photography.

This would be a place I would fit in since I shoot film and usually print in my (pardon the expression) Digital Darkroom, consisting of a PC with Photoshop and inkjet printer.

Although I have a few times developed and wet printed (B&W, not color), using the Digital Darkroom allows somebody of my skills to do far more than I would with a basic tank, tray, enlarger set.

And, like any film user, I have enough to fear for the future of my preferred medium.
    I think lately we've seen some encouraging signs that refute the predictions of the FID know-it-alls, everything from a conversation with a Walgreens manager saying "film sales were strong" last holiday season to Fuji and Kodak (re)introducing (new) films.

I am personally not interested in a site that begins with digital imaging - no matter where it ends up with end processing/printing.
    Although DSLRs don't interest me (now/yet) I do support the right of DSLR users to exist. Hey, if everybody did things my way, the world would be a very boring place. (To me, shooting with a DSLR is like a pianist with a player piano. { ducking, running, hiding }

I really appreciate places like this where I don't get a chorus of "when are you gonna go digital?" when I post something that was taken with a GIII or a K1000.

Oh well ...

Images
    What fear for film photography? Fuji is reintroducing a film it just killed, kodak came out with a new film, JandC are moving to a bigger space, Mr. Parker can't keep up with the number of orders for his GG, this site is huge, prices on used gear are going up up up, what more do you want. No it never will be "like it was" but heck it ain't dead either.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's very basic, hybrid means any combination of digital & traditional. One thread pops up regarding digital capture and suddenly the entire site is now a 100% digital site? Part of the aim is not just to help promote film but all traditional photographic materials. Some think digi capture is bad but is it bad that John Doe made a digicapture then a digineg then bought darkroom equipment, stop, fix, developer, papers and made traditional prints? Maybe he's outputting to the new Ilford paper, great more paper base is being purchased and will stay in production for the traditional papers, etc..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    may this horse rest in peace
    Last edited by Sean; 11-13-2006 at 02:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin