Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,291   Online: 947

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

fyi- Download Thread as PDF Option installed

Hi Guys,

I've been putting this install off for a while because it's a bit of an ordeal but it's all in. I've tested on a few threads and it seems to work well. This is also going to be an option in the new articles system so people can download articles as pdf's. To download to pdf just click thread tools and select the "download as pdf" option. Any bugs just let me know. From what I can tell it supports text only, I'll see if I can get images working but the support for this modification ovr on the vbulletin site seems to be lacking. Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Very cool, thanks Sean.
    (I have converted past threads to pdf myself, but its a long and bothersome process, so this is great)
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Cool! That could be very handy.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just can't tell you how great a tool this is.

However, everyone should bear in mind that you'll have to explicitly save your .pdf file. The term 'Download' is a trifle misleading. What this routine does is open Acrobat Reader with the posts listed in chronological order, but if you exit without clicking File/Save As... and then giving it a path and filename, it'll be gone.

Still, this is to me the most useful feature I've seen on this forum.
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 10-24-2006 at 10:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sean,

Excellent improvement. Should espescially be useful for threads that contain important technical info etc. Will also be a great feature for those Articles.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    I just can't tell you how great a tool this is.

However, everyone should bear in mind that you'll have to explicitly save your .pdf file. The term 'Download' is a trifle misleading. What this routine does is open Acrobat Reader with the posts listed in chronological order, but if you exit without clicking File/Save As... and then giving it a path and filename, it'll be gone.

Still, this is to me the most useful feature I've seen on this forum.
    I guess it depends on system config. I have tried in Mac OSX firefox, safari, and win XP IE and everytime I click it automatically saves it as a file. I suspect if you have XP with acrobat installed maybe it does what you describe but my XP doesn't have acrobat on it yet. Also maybe your download settings are to open all downloaded files? not sure..

Shooter
    35mm
    The behavior is browser-dependent, and may vary with browser settings with some browsers. For me, running Firefox on Linux, I'm given the option of opening it (with a PDF viewer I select) or saving it to disk. The dialog box has a check box that tells Firefox to always take the selected action in the future, but I've never checked it. In the case of Firefox on Linux, even if you opt to view the file in a PDF viewer, it is saved to disk, but in the /tmp directory. I don't know offhand where Windows browsers are likely to save such files on a temporary basis, if indeed they do so.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Very nice option, Sean!

Thanks.

André

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    no matter how you save it, this feature kicks ass!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin