Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,617   Online: 1023

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Many's the time I'd love to be able to share a URL for an image in the galleries. Being able to so would probably help grow this community. I think that only Subscribers should be able to post images and comments, however.
    Good point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually prefer that the galleries be accessed only by subscribers. It allows me more freedom in putting up images that I might not otherwise share, knowing that they can't be Googled. With a few (not many) of my subjects, there are privacy issues. With some images, I consider them problem children, posted to get comments from others, and might not want them in general circulation.

I appreciate that there is more than a bit of discontent from nonsubscribers over APUG's closed galleries. If the galleries are opened, I hope that it can be done in such a way as not to be searchable by outside search engines.

Sanders

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew View Post
    I actually prefer that the galleries be accessed only by subscribers. It allows me more freedom in putting up images that I might not otherwise share, knowing that they can't be Googled. With a few (not many) of my subjects, there are privacy issues. With some images, I consider them problem children, posted to get comments from others, and might not want them in general circulation.

I appreciate that there is more than a bit of discontent from nonsubscribers over APUG's closed galleries. If the galleries are opened, I hope that it can be done in such a way as not to be searchable by outside search engines.

Sanders
    Perhaps a provision could be made so that you can label some or all of your images as restricted to the subscribers? In my case, I don't mind showing my work publicly, but there will be as many different opinions as there are APUG subscribers, so maybe just having the choice to control access on a per photo basis would solve the issues.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I'd hate to see a change that would cause people to share less in the galleries. Perhaps a check box to indicate that an image should be public or not public that would tell the database how to handle restricting the image.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mr. Ross.

This is basically a google text ad. GOOGLE-adds will not let one advertise specifically on APUG. One gets shoved into the masses, you can not 'just ' advertise on APUG.. GOOGLE also decides to charge 'what-ever' they want for key-words. once you are set, thinking you are paying so much for a click, it all of the sudden jumps, sometimes to $20 a click!

GOOGLE ads will also let in 'digital' related ads! ...this is something you want on this site??

We have tried this before and is not less than a rip-off. How companies get duped into paying loads of money for this service is beyond me. I cant compete in such a system. I would much rather see you go with YAHOO ads. This is a much fairer system and will not rape the advertiser as google-ads does.

There must be a better solution. Small companies such as us can not compete in the google market.
    How about putting up the old ad-text as well as the others.

dw

www.dr5.com
    Last edited by dr5chrome; 02-08-2007 at 02:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I should know in a week or so if the google ads do any good. I can leave multiple options for subscriptions down the road as requested. If the gallery is ever opened for public viewing the option to make your own private is a great idea.

As for DR5's comments, as far as I can see, via doing a test sign up, you can set it to advertise only on apug.org (by clicking the advertise on this site link it does just that) and it is via CPM which is paying per 1,000 views which starts at 30c per 1,000 ad views. For those previously paying $15 per month for a text ad you could set your adsense account with a budget of 50c per day for 30 days and see how it goes.. Some who never considered advertising may have a new book for example so sign-up to show a heap of views say $40 of ads for 2 weeks for a boost, etc.

Ad relevance would be a major issue to me if these ads were banners in the header but I can accept the content since they are just footer text ads. If people sign-up for text ads then things should shift to being more relevant..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just don't put any changing or animated ads. They are very distructing and cause me a headache and I will definately block them.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    Just don't put any changing or animated ads. They are very distructing and cause me a headache and I will definately block them.
    Ditto. Nothing like a good block of bouncing smiley faces to bring on a migraine..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..we're trying. from our end, as before [in the past]. GOOGLEads is very confusing. so far, we have not been able to create an ad that functions especailly as an apug related ad. as before, the googleads customer service is non Existent.

we would like to contribute, but this is not working as indicated and i do see that one ad has appeared. if anyone has constructive help, we would be happy to set it up, as sean reflects. i have spent all day on this, must get back to work..
    UPDATE: i did one last check and managed to find a page that allows to pick from a specific site. on our end, apug is not listed. sean, please tell us how this will pan out in the end. i might be mistaken, isnt ad placement up for the highest bidder as well? is this function off?

dw

www.dr5.com
    Last edited by dr5chrome; 02-08-2007 at 09:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    ..we're trying. from our end, as before [in the past]. GOOGLEads is very confusing. so far, we have not been able to create an ad that functions especailly as an apug related ad. as before, the googleads customer service is non Existent.

we would like to contribute, but this is not working as indicated and i do see that one ad has appeared. if anyone has constructive help, we would be happy to set it up, as sean reflects. i have spent all day on this, must get back to work..
    UPDATE: i did one last check and managed to find a page that allows to pick from a specific site. on our end, apug is not listed. sean, please tell us how this will pan out in the end. i might be mistaken, isnt ad placement up for the highest bidder as well? is this function off?

dw

www.dr5.com
    Well, we've had another advertiser sign up with zero issues and their ads are serving. With your emailed login info I have gone in and re-setup your account. It is advised you go via the link in the google ad on this site only the one "Advertise on this site", that auto sets the ad up for apug. I have reconfigured your ad from scratch so let's see how it goes. It may take a few days for apug to get into the google system 100%. Thanks,

Sean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin