Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,174   Online: 810

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

APUG Widget Created

Widgets are little applications that run on your computers desktop. I chose to use Yahoo's widget system because I find it very easy to use and it is cross platform for windows and mac.

1. download and install yahoo's widget application here:
    http://widgets.yahoo.com/index.php

***Updated***

I highly recommend using this widget here if you have Yahoo widgets installed:

http://widgets.yahoo.com/gallery/vie...1&widget=42031

you can add multiple sites, configure number in the list, refresh times and it shows a text preview of the thread on mouse over. Here is a screenshot:

To add apug to the widget specify this as the feed:

http://www.apug.org/forums/external.php?type=RSS2

*you can right click on the widget to adjust color and opacity and additional options
    Last edited by Sean; 06-11-2007 at 12:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have something like that on my Windows Vista laptop; it is small gadget that displays the latest 100 threads (only 5 at a time) off the APUG RSS feed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  
    Last edited by roteague; 04-15-2007 at 11:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some of the titles in the widget starts with odd code when displayed on my desktop and there is a strange shadow behind the text although it is not very cleanly visible in the attachment as on my screen. Otherwise - perfect! Thank you very much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apug.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adonchev View Post
    Some of the titles in the widget starts with odd code when displayed on my desktop and there is a strange shadow behind the text although it is not very cleanly visible in the attachment as on my screen. Otherwise - perfect! Thank you very much!
    It looks like the XML isn't being parsed correctly. You and Sean might have different versions of the XML rendering engine (assuming that is how it is done on a Mac).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adonchev View Post
    Yeah i noticed some weirdness on a few titles will have a look..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean, can you tell me what program or code the widget is written in? I installed the APUG widget and it works really great. In fact I installed a shipping widget and put in the shipping number from Badger and it brought it right up. That's great when you consider I couldn't get the UPS site to identify the number or my password! The only thing I have to figure out is why it brings the APUG thread up but not fully maximized.
    Thanks,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The wedget is working but doesn't refresh, what is needed to use the RSS? I did subscribed but I am not sure what software supports it.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    mine seems to be refreshing, but keep in mind it only shows newly created threads not posts. If you want to hack into the code there is a yahoo widget that allows you to uncompress the widget and the re-save it after changes..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Sean, would it be possible to get the Widget text a little wider or resizeable?

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You might be able to find a RSS widget that is customizable, then just direct it to use the apug rss feed: http://www.apug.org/forums/external.php?type=RSS2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin