Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,126   Online: 1134

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Overall, I like the appearance. As far as Gallery, why not make it moderator picks of the day - that should avoid seeing nudes,etc. and would reward good images.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is definitely an improvement over the first draft.

The "Top 5" stats, though splits the page. Maybe there's a way of having that information in a more compact format. Do we really need "Most Popular Forums" or all the extra data beyond the title of the "Latest Posts"? How about two columns (which could be stacked or placed side by side or on opposite sides of the page--however works best with the other content) with just the titles of say the 10 latest posts and the 10 most popular threads?

You could ask the sponsors about how much real estate they want on the front page, but I think it would be in the sponsors' best interest to have a clean looking page that invites new users into the site, where they'll read about their products as part of the normal conversation and see the banner ads in the process. Too much sponsor info on the front page, and I think it will turn new users away.

The major APUG partners get the footer on every page including the front page plus banners. So do they need something this large in the content space on the front page?:

Now I'm on a 1024x768 monitor, and that's 1/6 of the page in Firefox. How about instead of the regular rotating banner in the header on the front page creating a single banner just for the front page with all four partner logos, so they get some prominent extra recognition right up front, but with a neater appearance?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for all your hard work. The front page looks great, the portfolio system looks great ... and I feel humbled being chosen to have the first Featured Portfolio.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean;

I love the front page and the new gallery. I love the way the gallery opens photos.

Bob, I viewed a few of your photos first. Wow! Spectacular. Thanks to you as well.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like that the gallery pictures are given more space.
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice. I think you need a link to the portfolio pages on the homepage as well as your featured portfolio. Only place I've found so far to acess them is the personal edit portfolio page.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will do some more tweaking, maybe make the stip of gallery images a sample until i get the content control in place. I'll see what else i can do to reduce clutter and clean it up a bit more. As for the partners block i could shrink that a little bit (they don't have banner ads by the way) but they contribute a A LOT to our costs so I want the partners block where it is..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    As for the partners block i could shrink that a little bit (they don't have banner ads by the way) but they contribute a A LOT to our costs so I want the partners block where it is..
    ...And so it should be. It would surprise you how often I click on sponsor's URL's and am appreciative at how available they are. I can only hope their number will grow!

I appreciate your concern for the gallery thumbnails....I simply cannot access this site in the presence of the children I teach if I have any concern at all about what may be seen. It's not an option....G rating or outa here! No choice...period!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Looks like it's starting to sort itself out!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Looks like it's starting to sort itself out!
    Finished doing some stuff just a second ago and more cleaning up to do later, great feedback guys really appreciate it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin