Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,199   Online: 1096

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    excellent choices

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I pledge my loylaties to councilman Dinesh. I promise to consume more beers in his presence and I will not refer to him as my lab bitch anymore, at least in his presence.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    This is great Sean!

I'm sure you're more than a little concerned that the power will go directly to Dinesh's head, but I guess you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet That's probably a poor analogy, but you get the drift..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    It may but i suspect that the ID is far smaller than the OD would suggest.
    John, that's hilarious!

Sean, et al:

I, too, applaud this move. The good of the whole outweighs the good of any one individual; and some judicious shaping, weeding, and pruning never hurts.

Of course, I'm gonna have to watch my own mouth ... :o

Images
    I don't think this is a very good idea. Sure there is a squabble here and there but ultimately nothing that diminishes the site, just those posters.

Communities as diverse as, and big as this one are bound to have personality conficts. That is human nature. I understand the need for moderation just as all communities need some sort of lawful presence, but "Judicious weeding and pruning", as David Brown puts it, is a bit too orwellian for my tastes.

But, ultimately the site belongs to Sean, and his decisions and opinions are the only ones that really matter. I just hope there was a lot of thought given to this and the actions of two members, that I know of, in the last few days were not all that he considered.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Congrats to every moderator!
    Excellent choice Sean!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mark-

If I may speak to the issue that you raise, the arrival of the "Council" status was purely coincidental with regard to any recent spat or spats that may have happened here on the forum; this has been in the works for a substantial amount of time. Also, speaking as one member of the Council, I would say that I believe none of us take this responsibility lightly, and it will NOT be an excuse/opportunity to "thin the herd" when someone who is merely unpopular comes along. To merit the Council attention, someone is going to have to put forth an effort to provoke it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll also add to Scott's comment that we're here to help the moderation team rather than supplement them. It's the "many eyes" approach. In the end, the big decisions are implemented by the executive branch, i.e. Sean & the mods.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    I'll also add to Scott's comment that we're here to help the moderation team rather than supplement them
    I don't think any of us would have accepted a role that would more aptly be entitled "Inquisitor" rather than "Council". It's important to attentively examine our charge and not read more into it than is there. I have, and will continue to read it very carefully.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mmm..mm..mm.... Bureaucracy!...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    I don't think any of us would have accepted a role that would more aptly be entitled "Inquisitor" rather than "Council".
    Nobody expects the APUG inquisition!.....
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin