Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,452   Online: 905

Page 1 of 37 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

The APUG Membership Council

Hello All,

I would like to announce a new layer to APUG moderation. Previously we only had Admin (Me) + Moderation Team (David A. Goldfarb, JD Callow and Ole). The four of us have been building and enforcing rules for many years but as the site continues to grow it is no longer enough to simply create and enforce rules. As many witness all too often, skilled "trolls" or problem users can find clever ways around the rules which ultimately sours the community. The new Membership Council will allow us to continue enforcing rules but also add a new element of moderation to the mix. The Council will basically help us maintain and steer the tone of APUG. John did a good job of laying out the mission statement of the council so I will use his description:

1. act as a presence to keep people more or less on the straight and narrow;
    2. be more strategic than tactical;
    3. give advice with regard to the site's direction;
    4. recommend actions when individuals stray;
    5. offer a more or less democratic aspect to the policing of the site;
    6. and provide a buffer for the mods and admin who run APUG.
    The new Membership Council is (in no particular order and by forum name):

les mclean [Council Chairman]
    theflyingcamera
    jnanian
    bwgirl
    scootermm
    dave miller
    dinesh
    suzanner
    clogz
    murrayminchin
    bob f.
    Bruce (camclicker)
    Lee
    papagene
    MHV
    jovo

You will soon see their forum designation change from "subscriber" to:

This is an active and international group of APUG members which we believe represent the spirit of the community as a whole. We believe the Council can help bring more visibility to various membership based issues and help us maintain the great spirit of the site, ensuring that it remains a positive and friendly place to visit.

The Council does have legitimate power within the running of APUG. There will be a process allowing Council members to submit issues, discuss them and take action. There are many options available to the Council when a consensus is met, for example: forced ignore list between members, restricting problem members from specific forums, restricting the amount of posts per day, temporary bans, permanent bans and more. The forum rules will be updated today to ensure everyone is aware that Council members are a form of APUG Moderators and should be treated with the same respect as our Moderation Team. In other words if any problem members attempt to harass a Council member we will not take it lightly. There will be oversight to the Council provided by Myself, Les Mclean and the Moderation Team.

I'll end by saying thank you to those who have volunteered to be part of the Council. It means a lot to me that we have a membership who care this much about our community and are offering their time and energy to keep it running smoothly. I look forward to working with the new team.

Thanks,
    Sean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is great Sean!

I'm sure you're more than a little concerned that the power will go directly to Dinesh's head, but I guess you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet That's probably a poor analogy, but you get the drift..
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I respect all these people and can see them doing an excellent job at their new task. YAY!
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Congrats to the new Council. I truly look forward to having your guidance. With nearly 21,500 members - this site is becoming enormous - your presence will be very helpful.

Oh, and I guess I'd better take Dinesh off my "Ignore" list! :o

But truly, I respect all of you and know you support the interests of APUG and it's goal/mission.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gee whiz, and all I did was to waste too much time on APUG... Now I'm a professional time-waster!

PS: I knew Les McLean was meant to guide us towards the light.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nobody will tell me the secret handshake

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    I'm sure you're more than a little concerned that the power will go directly to Dinesh's head...
    It may but i suspect that the ID is far smaller than the OD would suggest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good luck to all of you! This seems an excellent idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well done Sean. Looks like you have a good team.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Les McLean at the top, we're all in trouble Just joking of course, this is a wonderful list of people who I'm sure will do a great job.

Cheers,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Page 1 of 37 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin