Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,712   Online: 892

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Currently we have several applications on apug, not exactly working 100%. This is extremely annoying, so what do we do? Do we waste our time trying to fix it all, or migrate to a more proven system? After a lot of research I've found a better solution for this site. If all goes to plan, we will move to a different backend which provides better integration of everything we want to do. The new apug will be a home page, which you register on, then from that point you have seemless access to all site modules -a forum much like this one, a gallery application, news, chat, and many more modules available. The home page also lists active users on the site, shows most recent posts, has a search function, and much more -all very portal like. I have installed the back end and so far love it. I will spend the next few weeks adding more modules, and tweaking the 'look'. Sorry things have been a rollercoaster ride lately. The ultimate goals are to have stability, and seemless integration between applications. We'll be doing a lot of testing before implementation, and will also have a backout plan should there be any major issues. I'll post progress reports here. Thanks, Sean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    update-

I am loving the new system so much I can't wait to get it rolled out. If I only had more time in the day!! ugh

I'm going to see if I can have it ready in 2-3 weeks max.

Also forgot to mention we will be able to migrate the data from this forum to the new one so user accounts, posts, etc will not be lost. The new site also has a chatroom, and at the bottom of the forum will say "there are x users in the chat, click here to join" -the chat window pops up and it auto logs you on to the chat. We've been looking for something like that for a while as well. It's nice to be able to rebuild a new site from the ground up -knowing the requirements. When apug was started we had no idea what we needed so ended up with less than ideal applications. This is going to be a refreshing change. Gotta catch the ferry, c-ya

Shooter
    Large Format
    Guys, we are really sorry! seems there was another SQL crash. Albinator claims this is not caused by their gallery program, but these problems started happening as soon as their program was implemented. This and other invision boards which added the Albinator gallery are having no end of problems.

Sean is working on a different forum program which is really cool and will resolve all these problems once and for all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I have taken Friday off (tomorrow for me) to try to get the new solution completed. I got a lot of work done on it last night. Hang in there folks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've been working on the new site for 2 days straight now. I think we'll be ready to launch it next weekend

Here is a teaser for those curious about it. Some may hate the new look, some may love it. I think it is very clean and easy on the eyes. It's a complete rebuild from the ground up, and a single logon will provide access throughout the site. The only work left is adding the Articles system, and importing some of the other apug pages into the new design. Then we test it all, and migrate the forum data over. Thanks to those who have helped with some of the testing already.

Here's the screenshot.. drumroll.....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin