*update.. painful but I decided to upgrade the classifieds from 2.42 to 3.1. I ran into some problems but have ironed out everything except the images are dead. I am waiting for the software company to supply me with a script to re-import the images, so the classifieds may be down for a couple of days -worst case-
Ok.. current status is I am giving up on the current classified software for a few reasons.
1- it is a big, bloated mess of an app
2- it does not live within the forum system which makes it hard to manage, tweak functionality or add functionality. it is an outside app hacked to work with our forum
3- everytime it is upgraded there are huge problems
4- support for it by the software company leaves a lot to be desired
5- a new system is out that is sleek, small foot print and far more simple to use AND lives within the vbulletin system AS a vbulletin application. This means it is a plugin to vbulletin and to upgrade only requires importing 1 file. There is also practically no server load from this new system (after disabling the current one I was shocked to see our load drop big time). I have been testing the new system for a day or so and it works great. I am getting my coder to tweak a few items and will hopefully roll it out today or tomorrow.
I feel bad for those who accumulated feedback in the old system or will lose data in the old system. That could cause some pain but in the long run this new system will be better for us. It offers much if not all of the same features but is easier to use and far less maintenance. I'll keep you posted!
Thanks Sean. I can wait for the new improve Classified section is in. Hey, it saves me money or the pain I get when I see something I want but can't afford or it's been bought before I see it.
There is always a silver-lining to everything!
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
Hi All, sorry about the delays but I'm a bit stuck waiting on some custom code for it. Worst case my coder will supply it this weekend and we'll be up and running then. If he doesn't get it to me by then I'll launch it anyway but include a notice that it's not 100% yet.