Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,022   Online: 905

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Recession & Exchange Rate Blues...

Hi All,

I suppose most businesses are hurting these days thanks to the recession. I'm definitely seeing a trend on APUG of members choosing financial hardship subscriptions or 3 month subscriptions instead of the regular subs. This is understandable, so lately I have been diverting a lot of my time to building new websites for the photocentric ltd. portfolio. Basically concepts I have been sitting on since 2005 and will now be giving them a try. I just wanted to state this in an announcement because I have been a little scarce lately and wanted to explain why. I have one of these new sites launching hopefully next week and 2 additional sites following over the next 2 months (the other two sites involve partnerships which ensure I can spread the workload). I'm hoping these new ventures will keep me in the black vs. heading back to a corporate cubicle somewhere. Another issue that complicates matters is the NZ dollar which is unusually strong. There were times when $1.00US dollar would convert to $2.20NZ (the good ole days!) but now $1.00US converts to around $1.30NZ. So... my focus for the next couple of months is to find new ways to increase revenue and for that I apologise if it leaves me scarce at times on APUG. I'm still usually lurking on APUG several times a day, answering helpdesk calls and managing the web server.. so if you need anything just ask. I'll keep you posted on the new sites and once the dust settles from that I'll definitely be far more available.

Thanks!
    Sean

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sean, as much as it hurt, I didn't cheap-out with my membership. And I've donated more than 3 percent of my sales so far.

Good luck with your other website ventures!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think those of us that can should subscribe at the $40 level not the $24 level. Plus if you have a business and can afford it, consider buying a banner ad at $45. Why not top it up to $100 ($40 subscription plus $45 ad plus $15 donation) if you can. Seriously. We need to keep this site alive.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My first time in NZ, my $200 US only got me $150 NZ...but then I could also walk down to the village from Lincoln College with only one NZ dollar in my pocket and get 3 pieces of fish and chips (wrapped in a newspaper), then walk across the street and get a jug of beer -- and still have a couple cents left over. Ahhh, the good old days...

Best of luck in your endeavors, Sean!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the best with your plans, Sean.

(Silver lining: It's a fantastic time to buy film and photo equipment by mail order from the US. The exchange rate has already saved me a lot more than the cost of my APUG subscription )

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yeah, I'm selling my stuff for about half price... dark cloud here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always reupped my membership at the higher "donation" rates, including just a few weeks ago. Considering how much enjoyment I get back from this site it's about the best return on an investment that I make.

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks guys!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would love to be able to spend more than the Student rate... but, as I am a student, I cannot. Though, if I ever begin selling prints again.. I will make a donation

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    I think those of us that can should subscribe at the $40 level not the $24 level. Plus if you have a business and can afford it, consider buying a banner ad at $45. Why not top it up to $100 ($40 subscription plus $45 ad plus $15 donation) if you can. Seriously. We need to keep this site alive.

Regards, Art.
    Is a 'member' a subscriber, or is membership free? I see a lot of very active 'members'. Are they participating financially?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin