Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,662   Posts: 1,623,935   Online: 821

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The new site is nearing completion. The forums will convert without issue, but since we are moving to a more robust gallery system the old gallery will not convert. I'm giving everyone several weeks notice to save gallery images that you may want to upload to the new gallery. For example you may want to save all of your personal gallery images to your pc, so you can upload them to the new personal galleries. I find the easy way to do this in Internet Explorer is to view your image in the gallery, right mouse click on the image, then select "Save Picture As", title the image and save it to your hard drive. You may already have the images on your hard drive, in that case you can just use those. This will be our first "professional" gallery system so we shouldn't need to go through this again.

If I had to briefly describe the new site, I'd say it's like going from a Toyota Camry to a Mercedes-Benz

I'll post a few screenshots in about a week..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Great stuff. Boy you must be working overtime for sure.

One thing that would be nice in the new system would be the IP number we are posting from displayed as part of the post. This would eliminate the practice of the same person having a "discussion" with themselves by utilizing multiple user names. Not that anyone is doing that here ..
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope it's not like my Mercedes-Benz - 25-years old and rusting out beneath the driver's seat supports. Still does 80mph on the way home, though.

juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    Great stuff. Boy you must be working overtime for sure.

One thing that would be nice in the new system would be the IP number we are posting from displayed as part of the post. This would eliminate the practice of the same person having a "discussion" with themselves by utilizing multiple user names. Not that anyone is doing that here ..
    Hi Eric, I think a lot of people would consider that to be a big security risk. IP's have always been displayed in posts for me since I'm listed as an admin. I'm pretty sure the new software has an option for me to search all users who may be using multiple names from 1 ip. If someone is doing it to cause trouble we could track it down. I have seen some forum users on other sites with different user names such as (username at work) and (username athome), but they make themselves known..

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I would prefer not to see IP adresses posted. For those that are using a fixed IP address (many broadband users) this is a security issue - though if you are using a fixed IP address you ought to also be using a firewall of some sort. For many users however the IP adress will be different every time (some broadband users, and most dial up users) so it wouldn't be a very effective trap anyway.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not to debate the issue, because I'm not going to, anyone who is on a fixed IP and doesn't have adequate protection is asking for it anyway. I get hundereds of scans a day from the "script kiddies" looking for open ports.

In so much as the multi-personality issue I think many of us know who is doing it, so I've made my point.

I must admit I've created an alter-ego called Batman. I use it only to torment Ian Greant tho LOL. It's an inside joke.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    can't wait to see some screenshots!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    35mm
    Many broadband providers change IP addresses of user during low traffic hours, for two reasons:

- It avoids some traffic from home WEB sites;
    - They can bill more for fixed IP...

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it bad that upon reading Sean's post I was really excited. How do you know you're addicted APUG?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As much as I am looking forward to the new-improved apug site, I am so grateful in what I've been allowed to share, I should gladly accept it in any form.

Sean, your efforts are greatly appreciated. Thank you for bringing us all together.... (and markh for telling me you existed).

ka

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin