Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,037   Online: 780

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'll say again... you guys ROCK!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I personally liked the classified ads before. They were simple. Easy to navigate and they worked. Now it's not very convenient.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I personally liked the classified ads before. They were simple. Easy to navigate and they worked. Now it's not very convenient.
    Keep in mind it is currently a work in progress, some of the usability of the old system will be ported over. If there is anything in particular you would like speak now and I can spec it up for the coder. Another reason for migrating them into forums is we will soon be on a core system update path to vbulletin 4.0 and the old classifieds are no longer supported and would not work with the core system update..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yea, kind of clunky, not a real ad system. How does a person find all their ads? Searching all the postings? Maybe its just me and I need to get use to it. Then again...

One other note. Photos that are listed either open very slowly, or never load at all.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can ad a link for listing 'my ads'. I can make it so attached images are automatically embedded in the page rather than clicking required.. Thanks for the feedback

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, please, definitly need a "my ads" connection. Also, we need to be able to edit our ads. Will our ads expire, and migrate to the archives automatically?

Rick

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    We've been going back and forth about unlimited editing, because it would conflict with the goals of archiving. We haven't archived ads in the past, so maybe we could just not archive or accept that the archive will be compromised for the convenience of editing. The current plan has been to move ads to an uneditable archive forum automatically after 30 days.

The purposes of the archive would be to keep a record of ads in case of disputes, and to keep the information in the ads for research purposes, in case people want to find out more about equipment that's been advertised, since ads often have good pictures and instructions and such, or to figure out what the going price is for equipment that has been sold. We haven't had any unresolved disputes about equipment not living up to the description advertised, so maybe we can sacrifice this by allowing editing, but if we ever did have such a dispute, the archive wouldn't necessarily be of value in resolving disputes, if it were possible for the seller to edit the description between the time of sale and the time the thread is archived. If sellers with lists of items were to delete the items from the ad as they are sold, they would not only be lost in case of a dispute, but they also wouldn't be available for research purposes.

eBay allows editing by archiving the edits and making the changes accessible to bidders, but I don't think that would be easy to implement here.

One way around this might be to put the onus on the buyer to save a screenshot of the ad in case of a dispute, though I know that not everyone knows how to do that. Maybe it would be possible to add a "save to desktop" button for buyers so they could easily save a copy of the ad, and we could just accept that the archive would not serve that purpose, and that the archive wouldn't be a perfect record of items sold for research purposes, but there would still be a lot of good information there.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You guys are putting a lot of thought and effort into this and we all appreciate it greatly. David, a person can save a screenshot of an ad but those are easily edited in PS. Saving the web page is also a good idea but the text and images are easily edited and re-saved. I don't know enough about forum SW to offer a solution but Ive been told by admins on other sites that they archive every edit on every post. How they do that I don't know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Those are good points, Mike. I know we have a RAID system running to back up the database, but maybe Sean could tell us if we could reconstruct the edit history of a post with the data we have, and how easy it would be, and how long that edit history is available. I anticipate that we wouldn't need to do this even once a year, if that often since it hasn't been an issue even once up to this point, so if it's the sort of thing that only Sean would have access to, that might be less of a burden on our overall resources than designing a public archive.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does putting a reply in your ad, such as "sold" bump it? How about locking it?

I had a few ads which were in Hidden status in the old system, that got resurected. I admit, I should have deleted them, but I had hid them pending conclusion of the pending purchases, and then forgot to ditch them.

It would be nice for a seller to be able to delete an ad, if it's no longer relevant, or whatever.
    I got around the "my ads" thing by doing an advanced search in the classifieds thread for my username.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin