Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,709   Online: 991

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Can someone recommend a good, free RSS client for OS X?

I tried slashdock, but don't like it. Seems primitive and cludgy, generating an HTML page for viewing instead of viewing the index in the app itself.

-KwM-
    You want to take a look at NetNewsWire - it's the defacto standard on OS X. It's also not free, but the best things in life rarely are
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    This may be included into a webpage or RSS reader to provide an automatically updated latest threads display outside of APUG.

I am new to this and do not know much about it yet. But if you have a device or webpage that can use an RSS feed you can now have that page display the most recent APUG forum posts.
    Thanks Sean,

I'll try it out this weekend; the next version of my website already uses RSS feeds from the Photography forum at About.com. I'll try this and see how it works as well. In my other life, I'm a professional programmer, specializing in writing .NET applications.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Can someone recommend a good, free RSS client for OS X?
    I have a friend who recommends NetNewsWire. The address is:

http://ranchero.com/netnewswire/

Down at the bottom of the page is a link for the free lite version. I can't vouch for it, since I'm a Windows XP guy.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    127 Format

xml feed?

I'm toying with the idea of writing a Sherlock channel for APUG. Sherlock is a MacOSX xml based browsing system - it's fantastic provided you've got a "channel" targeted to a particular data source (ie website). I wrote a channel for another site, and it totally changed the feel of the site - it became so much more interactive, and responsive. However good channels are few and far between.

Part of the problem is you need really need a clean(ish) data feed. Is there currently a way to get the forums without the UI? There was in the old version of the board (the "mobile" forums), but it seems to have dissapeared in the revamp. Is that still running, or is there (or could there be) and XML version?

If I get anything working, I'll release it if there's any interest.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    click the "Archive" link at the bottom of this page, that will be a text feed..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mozilla's Firefox browser seems to have a strong RSS client built in, but it doesn't recognize the APUG rss feed.

I haven't dug into it much, but it seems to either be a mime typing thing or the lack of a .rss extension on the URL. Firefox places a [RSS] icon in the window's status bar if there's an RSS feed on the page. Works fine on some other pages like http://www.syndic8.com/feedinfo.php?FeedID=658 and http://slashdot.org/ , but it doesn't happen when I view the main apug page, the page for this thread, or the list of forums. There's a tutorial of sorts on the Mozilla site for manually adding RSS feeds to your bookmarks (so-called "live bookmarks") at http://www.mozilla.org/products/fire...bookmarks.html , but it requires that the feed URL end in .rdf or .xml, which leads me to believe it might be a mime typing issue.

ideas? Maybe I need to write a page of my own with the right kind of link in it, but I'm betting this would be useful to more apuggers than just me.

Oh heck... as long as I'm being unreasonably demanding, I might as well queue up another suggestion that it would also be nice if you could have an RSS subscription both to the top of the member journal tree as well as to any particular member journal (and if it's yours, have the option to update the journal through RSS.)

-KwM-
    Last edited by kwmullet; 09-29-2004 at 06:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: got more information from mozilla, but still doesn't work for apug.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mozilla's Firefox browser seems to have a strong RSS client built in, but it doesn't recognize the APUG rss feed.
    -KwM-
    Firefox 1.0 does, yay!

Images
    I finally got through and downloaded Firefox 1.0, whee is the RSS reader? by the way, it is a really slick browser. faster on my machine than the beta version.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hmmmmmmmmm.....I have no idea what you are talking about. RSS is really stupid salesman? raunchy sex slave? rancid sandwich shop? rumpled striped shirt? what????????

This is APUG remember... a refuge for at least some of us who are not utterly tuned into and current with digital doggerel or digital photography.
    John Voss

My Blog

Images
    hi!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin