Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,271   Online: 852

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    *update: Booked in for the weekend of the 31st to roll out the upgrades. I'll supply more details as we get closer.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Still on sched. It is likely APUG will be down for 1-3 days as this is a complete rebuild and implementing all of the work done in development will take time. There are also a few things we can't recode until we're upgraded so there will be downtime while this is done as well. It's looking like This coming Thurs or Friday APUG will be shut down. I'll have the site redirect to a status page and chatroom while we are down. For those interested the schedule will be along the lines of:

-site taken down, temporary upgrade status page & chatroom put up.
    -full backups taken on server, backups downloaded to my local machine, extracted and verified
    -core system upgrades (vbulletin, gallery software, search engine optimization, chatroom, portfolios, link system, video directory, blogs, article system, style templating)
    -take backup of core upgraded site
    -site testing, identify and correct any bugs
    -add/update additional plugins
    -1 to 2 days of final cleanup, coding and tweaking
    -re-open the site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Still on sched. It is likely APUG will be down for 1-3 days
    GASP! already feeling withdrawal symptoms coming on:o
    Seriously THANKS for all your hard work keeping APUG going for us all
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still on sched. It is likely APUG will be down for 1-3 days as this is a complete rebuild and implementing all of the work done in development will take time.
    Sean: if the site is really going to go down for that long, I think it is wise to give a BIG pre-warning before it goes down, and not only refer to a status page while it is down.

Most people will not be aware of what is coming up, as they can not access this APUG System Announcements section or simply don't read it, and may be unpleasantly surprised. A pre-warning will help taking care of that.

Maybe you can place a clear message of the upcoming downtime on the APUG's main page, preferably in a yellow box or something to have it noticed easily.

I second brian d's remark: thank you..., you're running one of the most extensive and good community sites out there! Most sites do not advance beyond some basic forum functionality, APUG is so much more than that...

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 07-26-2010 at 10:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wow! I'm really looking forward to the new and improved APUG! The CMS front end looks just like the front end I use with Joomla / K2.

This is perfect timing as I will be out of town and away from my computer during the outage. Nice of you to check my schedule first Sean LOL.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One more thing to bear in mind for those who will require a fix. There is a facebook page for APUG. Do a search for www .apug. org (no spaces, just prevent a looping url) and it should pop right up. I beleive there might even be an old flickr page. Not sure. But there are a lot of likes on the facebook page. Might not hurt to start each post with your handle here if different from your FB name. See ya there.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    One more thing to bear in mind for those who will require a fix.
    What fix , or do you mean the APUG equivalent of a methadone treatment for drug addicts?
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Methadone treatment indicates coming off. We aim to keep you hooked on APUG.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There could be 1-2 days of downtime while it's rolled out, more details in a few weeks.
    Just post a notice on APUG that APUG is back up as soon as you get it running and tested. That way all we have to do is read the posting and we will know that it is back up!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin