Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,544,005   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

APUG Major System Upgrade Status

*UPDATE: scheduled outage is planned for this Friday starting 3pm US eastern time. Down time could be 1-3 days.

Hi All,

I have been a bit scarce due to working on the new version of APUG. This is a big one that basically involves a total rebuild of APUG (all styling, plugins and modifications). This is to get us from the aging vBulletin 3.0 platform onto the new vBulletin 4.0 architecture. Once complete this new platform should serve us well for a couple of years at minimum. A lot of work is being done to make this a smooth transition. I will not be flipping a switch and ending up with 1,000's of confused members, it will very much follow the same basic usability as the current site. There will certainly be a lot of "about time!" chatter regarding several key areas. I can't wait to roll it out! Included in the upgrades are also an updated gallery, content management, portfolio system and more. ETA for release is 3-4 weeks if all continues to go well. I'll post updates and closer to release a few screen shots. There could be 1-2 days of downtime while it's rolled out, more details in a few weeks.

Thanks,
    Sean

*UPDATE: scheduled outage is planned for this Friday starting 3pm US eastern time. Down time could be 1-3 days.
    Last edited by Sean; 07-27-2010 at 06:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best of luck, I've been migrating from my old machine to a new one and it's all screwed up, it put my favorites in alphabetic order, what a mess, Photoshop is having cranks due to missing .dll's and plugins that don't like their programs. If it all wasn't supposed to work together I'd have a dozen computers one for Photoshop, one for... . The bits and bytes are in the new terabyte drive fighting with each other. Where oh where did my old mail go, the saved by month for a dozen years? My spell checker is somewhere around here, I used to right click and check the spelling but now it appears to be on the top of the screen, wish one was in this window.

Do you find that day after day looking at a screen you can't watch a little tele without squinting?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We're finaly leaving a platform. We get architecture now. Might come in handy with the new(ish) 4x5. ;p

Thanks for everything you do, Sean.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Havent been around long enough to appreciate this version, but thanks for working so hard to get a new version ready. I'm sure that it is no small feat.
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features

Sean, I was looking over the upgrade but didn't see the 3D plugin!

All kidding aside, don't do what I did and spend so much time at the screen that you can't turn your head or raise your arms above your chin. :o

Will the new upgrade include the Hybrid site?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just a quick update. Things are going good on the development site, not as fast as I had hoped but all core applications and major modules have all been upgraded. Remaining work on some visuals, a few interface tweaks and the portfolio system are all that remains. Once dev is completed I'll roll out the upgrades to our production site.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Odd question, but will the new version be compatible with older browsers?
    I only ask this as sites that upgrade to newer java for example won't function well with my old os, trying to spend money on paper and chems rather than a new computer!!

Cheers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Posted wirelessly..

True dat. I'm operating on XP sp3. Good question.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Should have no issues with older systems. IE6 is a thorn in the side of most web developers (many sites won't even allow IE6 to connect in an effort to kill it off) so it could have issues with IE6, plenty of alternatives to IE6 though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Current status: We had a few delays with availability of my coder but he's back and finishing up the portfolio system which is one of the last main rebuilds. There was also another vBulletin release (4.0.4 PL1) so I have had to re-upgrade dev environment to that. Still hopeful this can all roll out before mid-july. Thanks!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin