Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,443   Online: 792

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signature Spam

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Signature Spam

We seem to have had a rise in signature spam lately, and it would be useful if everyone were on the lookout for this and could report it using the "report post" button at the end of the post in question when they see it. Thanks to those who have been reporting it so far, since it is a kind of spam that is designed not to look like spam and can be hard to recognize as such, but it is a definite trend, so if it smells like spam, it probably is.

This kind of spam usually consists of a brief post, maybe worded vaguely so that it seems to be related to the thread, or it may in fact be related to the thread in a kind of naive way, but its main purpose is to deliver links in the signature line, usually to websites that have nothing to do with analogue photography, like vacation resorts or insurance or electronics for sale. One such spammer was even advertising for some sort of dubious photography course so it took us a while to recognize that one.

These spammers usually post to existing threads, and the moderators don't read everything, so it can easily slip through, but once we are able to identify one of these spam posts, we can easily delete all posts by the spammer and ban them from APUG.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    BUMP
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Clever spammers. New tactic to me. I'll be on the look out

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    but its main purpose is to deliver links in the signature line, usually to websites that have nothing to do with analogue photography, like vacation resorts or insurance or electronics for sale.

You'll have to forgive my computer ignorance but presuambly this only works if the spammer's post is worded in such a fashion that other respondents believe they have to use the signature links to help the spammer. A simple comment or question by a spammer producing a straight reply will not achieve the spammer's objective.

Or am I missing something cleverer and more sinister here?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Like any spam, I suppose it's all a numbers game. Post more links in more places that get picked up by more search engines, and eventually someone's gotta click. Some spam is only about the clicks that point to a page that mainly exists to deliver google ads or something like that. The spam strategy, as opposed to well targeted advertising, is just about mass exposure.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    How about signatures that have overtly religious or political content? Not spam, but can be a little obnoxious to those of different viewpoints.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    How about signatures that have overtly religious or political content? Not spam, but can be a little obnoxious to those of different viewpoints.
    Some reading my current signature might think that I am a follower of the church of St. Ansel .

If the content isn't crass or rude, I personally don't mind. Some may disagree.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    And Ansel said, "Let there be light!" and divided it into ten zones and said it was Good....
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

6x9

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Like any spam, I suppose it's all a numbers game. Post more links in more places that get picked up by more search engines, and eventually someone's gotta click. Some spam is only about the clicks that point to a page that mainly exists to deliver google ads or something like that. The spam strategy, as opposed to well targeted advertising, is just about mass exposure.
    Xrumer is getting smarter. I need to update my version to get the new toys but it is basicly the same thing over and over again.
    Easy to spot though.

Clicks. I miss doing BH SEO. From CB I use to get $200 bi-weekly. The real money is in affiliates though
    I have changed my password and changed my email to a random email. This is forum seppuku. Good bye!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I think religous and political diversness is the perfect way to keep us from becomming droids, and insures diversity. I have no time for those that would impose their views on me just because they dont like mine. Your beliefs are yours, and mine are mine, if you dont like mine, block my posts, and I'll keep an open mind.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin