Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,847   Online: 697

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very cool Sean,

But I think it might be nice to have this option also as a user setting for the APUG homepage. E.g., give users the option to have a "static" list on APUG homepage, that needs to be refreshed hitting F5 like it is now, or have this dynamic "Spy" list displayed in the "Latest posts" box.

For that matter, it might be an option in APUG's sidebar as well...

Just some stupid ideas... no high priority

Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    However, just what good is this new tool?
    All I see are post coming in like a clock second hand ticking away. What purpose?
    That only happens in the initialization phase of the list. After its filled up, it only shows posts coming in at a much more slow rate. Remember, Sean talked about +/- 700 posts per day appearing on APUG. That means just 1 post in 2 minutes. Not to bad.

APUG would need to grow to 4.8 million(!) members before we had 1 post every second!

I don't see that happening any time soon

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 08-28-2010 at 02:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another idea would be to have a ***single line*** "Spy" / Feed listing of the latest thread visible on all APUG Forum pages. E.g. as a replacement of the not so useful "Navigation path" directly visible below the APUG menu bar (The navigation path is the "Forum > APUG English forums > APUG.Org etc" link path).

Displaying real time the latest post there would be cool. A navigation path is not particularly useful in a "fixed" content sections webpage design like APUG's. Navigation path are most useful in webpages that change structure and content all the time, like news pages or so.

Or it might be positioned right of the "Reply to Thread" button at the top of forum threads, leaving the navigation path unaffected / where it is. There is a lot of spare unused space there...

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah it is confusing at first because it loads the last 25 recent. I'll see if I can cut that back to 5 or so. After that it will update in real time as they come in. It was mainly a mod I wanted for myself as I run dual displays I can now have a live feed of incoming posts on one screen. It helps me keep an eye on things. I figured might as well release it to all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It makes me dizzy, too. If it could smoothly scroll that would be fine, but I get a headache. Of course, like fotch I'm an older guy, so maybe I'm too feeble...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    It makes me dizzy, too. If it could smoothly scroll that would be fine, but I get a headache. Of course, like fotch I'm an older guy, so maybe I'm too feeble...
    It's just the initial loading, once that's done it stops getting dizzy. I'm trying to reduce the number of the initial loaded history..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I saw it earlier on and tried it. Maybe there was a flurry of new posts right then, as it seemed to just go on and on. I know that smooth slow scrolling is difficult anyway. It would be nice if it could just splash the initial set of posts instead of loading them sequentially.
    Anyway, thanks for all the great work you're doing on the site.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh no, now I'll never be able to "mark all threads as read"...!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Emmm, now I am waiting for the next post to load.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a little bit like crack... you get hooked pretty easily... and now I'm being drawn into places where only the brave dare tread. (like the lounge and the soapbox.... and the Kodachrome thread... )

I'm off to the darkroom... the only sure antidote for APUG overload. (overdose?)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Very cool, thanks! Now I can process photos and keep an eye on what's going on at the same time…

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin