Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,032   Online: 785

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that I've lost my supper what else can I do......
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah it is confusing at first because it loads the last 25 recent. I'll see if I can cut that back to 5 or so. After that it will update in real time as they come in. It was mainly a mod I wanted for myself as I run dual displays I can now have a live feed of incoming posts on one screen. It helps me keep an eye on things. I figured might as well release it to all.
    Sean, not many members have dual display. But you are right this tool could be very useful and nice to have, if it was visible all the time / continuously. It is less useful, if I need to open up a second TAB by clicking, because than I could just as well open "New Posts"...

As I suggested, showing such a live feed / spy listing might be most useful if displayed:

1) - In a single line above all "Search" views of Forums, or in the same manner above the normal "Forum" views, updating itself each time something new comes in.

2) - In the APUG sidebar. As the sidebar is a separate entity in APUG, it will be continuously visible if enabled.

3) - Maybe it would be an idea to have a truly floating and semi transparent "Spy/Live feed" box on APUG.

About the last option, I have a closable, minimizable and moveable DIV element on my homepage, that displays photo information in a semi-transparent box. It uses a very nifty free Javascript by Markus Bordihn (DynDiv - Dynamic Div):

http://dyndiv.markusbordihn.de/

It would be extremely cool to have these spy feeds displayed in such a box, especially if it was a small unobtrusive one with small font, and thus capable to temporarily stack away somewhere on the APUG screen, for example on top of APUG topbar, to keep on the look-out for new threads.

See the attachments for an example on my website, the black semi-transparent box with photo info is the Dynamic Div... The box can be moved freely around, minimized and closed.

To try it out, go to for example the page below and click on the little "i" button in the upper right corner... Since it is a generic HTML Div element, it could contain pretty much anything you want:

http://www.boeringa.demon.nl/fort_ve...es/DN3_80.html

Markus Bordihn has some more very cool Javascripts by the way, but I only implemented this one for now.

Anyway, even a single line continuously updated feed as per option 1) displayed somewhere visible while browsing the APUG forums, would be more easily implemented, yet be very useful and probably a bit handier than a separate "Spy page" as it is now.

Marco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dyndiv_position1.jpg   Dyndiv_position2.jpg   Dyndiv_minimized.jpg  
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mock-up of spy floating box

Hi Sean,

Just a quick "mock-up" of a possible floating box showing spy feeds... In this case a two-line example, but might be smaller, or use smaller font, or no transparency, it is customizable!

Marco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dyndiv_mockup.jpg  
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mock-up of spy single line feed in Forum views

Hi Sean,

And another mock-up idea for a single line feed integrated on the page rather than floating...

Marco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dyndiv_mockup2.jpg  
    My website

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin