Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,653   Online: 1134

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

APUG Subscriptions, re: student/financial hardship subscriptions - at a crossroads..

Hi All,

For several months now I have debated what to do regarding our student/financial hardship subscription options. With the global recession we have had an influx of subscribers take that option. It has finally reached a point where so many subscribers are taking that option it has simply become unsustainable. I will not say it's become abused because I am fully aware of the economic climate most of us are facing. That being said I have reluctantly had to disable this subscription option as a last resort. It was always intended to be available for a small percentage of subscribers 5-15% and for many years this was the case, but in recent months this has reached almost over 50% taking the student/financial hardship option. After crunching the numbers, the site is definitely not sustainable this way. Our subscriber base has been the same number for the last 3-4 years (roughly under 3.5% of total registered members). I suspect the numbers remain the same because a combination of subscribers leave but new subscribers arrive. I am investigating other options such as setting up a gift subscription forum, where a number of subscriptions are available and can be applied for confidentially behind the scenes. I'm sorry it's come to this, I held out as long as possible. I am unsure the effect this change will have, it could cause a crash in overall subscriptions. Hopefully members can find a way to support us at the standard $2 a month rate. We offer 3-6-12 month options. We've also been relying heavily on those taking the higher dollar options to offset the student/financial hardship subscribers, and those higher dollar subscribers have faded as well due to this recession. My ultimate goal is for other Photocentric Ltd. sites to become the revenue generators, and APUG can then essentially be free -but this could take a couple of years.

Thanks,
    Sean

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Understood, mate. I took advantage of it my first couple years and have since upped the ante. I will go even higher next year and I hope those that can will follow suit. That's my pledge to APUG. I wanna keep it going. Can I get a witness?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree, Sean. That about one out of ten would but can't pay $2/month is understandable and acceptable, but much more than that an it doesn't make financial sense to continue the arrangement.

A "scholarship" (sounds better than "gift") subscription is a good idea, I think.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I feel that the $2 per month is a miniscule amount compared to the service offered. For those that cannot for some reason post the full $24, they might be better able to pay $12 every 6 months. I support my family on my disability stipend, and coming up with a full year subscription doesn't come easily, but its doable. I find its easily obtained just in the loose change I drop in a jug at the end of every day.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean:

Your decision is understandable.

Out of curiosity, has the recently updated approach to the Classifieds resulted in an upsurge in donations?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Sean:

Your decision is understandable.

Out of curiosity, has the recently updated approach to the Classifieds resulted in an upsurge in donations?
    Thanks for the donation Matt!

Well, no upsurge that I can see and since I don't keep tabs on sales am unsure the percentage that do or do not donate. Maybe a few a week come in at most.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Thanks for the donation Matt!

Well, no upsurge that I can see and since I don't keep tabs on sales am unsure the percentage that do or do not donate. Maybe a few a week come in at most.
    Hmm - I must remember to make it a term of any offer I make as a purchaser that a donation be made - or make the donation myself!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't realize the subscription rate is in such a low number. 3.5% of total member?? What does it look like if you compare this against the number of active and currently participating members? I bet large number of user-ids belongs to inactive members.

Concerning $2/mo subscription, I think it's totally within reason. That's about half of a roll of film per month.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I understand, Sean...It does not seem possible that so few would be subscribers. I will keep that in mind as I go through the forums and post items for sale. Do what you must as a business to keep the site viable. I get so much from the forum posts and information shared within groups.

Luke
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sean,

All of my classified sales are in very low amount. The only way that makes sense is for me to make a donation on annual bases and even then 3% would only be 3 to 5 dollars. (via paypal maybe)

Is there a threshold where fees and costs involved in this would be counter productive on your side? I want to do "my part" but it has to make sense for both parties....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin