Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,870   Online: 1114

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not looking forward to this, at every bug fix I'm cut off, takes a week to get everything back in good working order.

This is one of the major issues why I won't pay, but just be a member, since there seem to be no guarantee for a reliable service, why pay for inconvenice?

There must be a better way?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Prestmo View Post
    Not looking forward to this, at every bug fix I'm cut off, takes a week to get everything back in good working order.

This is one of the major issues why I won't pay, but just be a member, since there seem to be no guarantee for a reliable service, why pay for inconvenice?

There must be a better way?
    Hi Erik,

I'm not sure what issue you could possibly have. This is a minor point release update. The site is down for around 2hrs and then is back and you should not notice a thing. Can you describe what happens for you? This will probably be the last update we have for a while. vBulletin 4.0 was a bit buggy initially but most have been squashed in this next update so future updates will be tapering off.

Thanks

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erik, what are you on about? APUG is available almost all the time and rarely after upgrades do we suffer any long-term bugs/annoyances for any significant period of time.

There's never a guarantee for reliable service - but the service has been pragmatically reliable. What issues are you seeing?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    vBulletin 4.0 was a bit buggy initially but most have been squashed in this next update so future updates will be tapering off.
    Sean,

This is the understatement of the year!

I think we can well conclude vBulletin 4.0 was at best a beta, and maybe even an alpha test version released under the false "disguise" of an official version...

On the good side, it means you don't have to take all the blame for the problems that popped up , and your dedication to the site is in my opinion, despite possible delays, without doubt .

I know from personal experience how hard it is to get these things right... and how it may seem nothing happens, while hard work is being done in the background.

Keep up the good work, and lets all hope vBulletin will make it really right in the next couple of v4.x releases.

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Sean,

This is the understatement of the year!

I think we can well conclude vBulletin 4.0 was at best a beta, and maybe even an alpha test version released under the false "disguise" of an official version...

On the good side, it means you don't have to take all the blame for the problems that popped up , and your dedication to the site is in my opinion, despite possible delays, without doubt .

I know from personal experience how hard it is to get these things right... and how it may seem nothing happens, while hard work is being done in the background.

Keep up the good work, and lets all hope vBulletin will make it really right in the next couple of v4.x releases.

Marco
    Yeah, they took major heat from all vBull owners and nearly lost most of their customer base over the initial 4.x release. They've brought in some new management (heavy hitters) that seem to be steering the ship back on course. The new manager has given us nearly 1,000 bug fixes in 2 months and still has large teams ironing things out. They even had some disgruntled employees leave who started up their own forum company. I considered watching this other company with interest, but it looks like vBulletin are now getting their act together. I would say 4.0.8 will finally have things at a Gold release level, 4.1 will have it at the same quality level that the 3.x series was (which was totally solid). I feel APUG will be running very well by Dec. at the latest. I have my coder finishing up some 4.0.8 work and then putting him on these bug report threads until we clear up most of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Erik,

I'm not sure what issue you could possibly have. This is a minor point release update. The site is down for around 2hrs and then is back and you should not notice a thing. Can you describe what happens for you? This will probably be the last update we have for a while. vBulletin 4.0 was a bit buggy initially but most have been squashed in this next update so future updates will be tapering off.

Thanks
    I'm just reporting what I saw, the last time there was an update, or I surmise there was an update, I just log on and rarely follow what takes place on an administrative level.

But suddenly I'm cut out, unable to acess ANYTHING around these parts, last time I was able to log on via another site or service, but updates was spotty and I was rarely able to answer to anything. That was very annoying when I was trying to follow World Camera 7 on its travel...

Last time I ended up sending a PM and after some time I got PM back, tried something and PM'ed again, then PM answer and suddenly I could log on again.

Mark this LOG ON did NOT work.

I'm not particularly interested in partaking in bugfixes and such that is a past life for me, and I do not want to be sucked back....

So until this site works reliably for more than a year, as seen from here, subscription is out of the question, I might even opt to leave, but I realize that such a threat is only negative for myself.

EP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm just reporting what I saw, the last time there was an update, or I surmise there was an update, I just log on and rarely follow what takes place on an administrative level.

But suddenly I'm cut out, unable to acess ANYTHING around these parts, last time I was able to log on via another site or service, but updates was spotty and I was rarely able to answer to anything. That was very annoying when I was trying to follow World Camera 7 on its travel...

Last time I ended up sending a PM and after some time I got PM back, tried something and PM'ed again, then PM answer and suddenly I could log on again.

Mark this LOG ON did NOT work.

I'm not particularly interested in partaking in bugfixes and such that is a past life for me, and I do not want to be sucked back....

So until this site works reliably for more than a year, as seen from here, subscription is out of the question, I might even opt to leave, but I realize that such a threat is only negative for myself.

EP
    Well, there is definitely something going on with your side as soon after updates I've had 10,000's of logins without any complaints raised. I'm happy to work through any issues with you. A start would be to know what operating system you are on and browser you use, are you going through a proxy server. There is also the rare chance our firewall has flagged your ip address as a spam server, in which case we need to release your ip address (this might happen to 1 or 2 accounts every few months). When you say you could not access "Anything" are you saying the site would not even load? After the next update I'll contact you via email to see how you are going.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, there is definitely something going on with your side as soon after updates I've had 10,000's of logins without any complaints raised. I'm happy to work through any issues with you. A start would be to know what operating system you are on and browser you use, are you going through a proxy server. There is also the rare chance our firewall has flagged your ip address as a spam server, in which case we need to release your ip address (this might happen to 1 or 2 accounts every few months). When you say you could not access "Anything" are you saying the site would not even load? After the next update I'll contact you via email to see how you are going.

Thanks
    I use Win 7 I think the last time around, after about 1,5 week of witing to see if it solved itself, and logging in through another site which was a nuisance (suggested by win 7 I think) a mail to you solved the problem (unflagged?) Im probably the second of those...

Its is the second or thrid time it happened, first time it solved itself, next time I had to mail you.

It is tiresome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use Win 7 I think the last time around, after about 1,5 week of witing to see if it solved itself, and logging in through another site which was a nuisance (suggested by win 7 I think) a mail to you solved the problem (unflagged?) Im probably the second of those...

Its is the second or thrid time it happened, first time it solved itself, next time I had to mail you.

It is tiresome.
    When you say "through another site" are you talking about a proxy server? Sounds like it may have blocked you at the firewall. If this happens again email me directly apug.org@gmail.com put in the subject line "LOCKED OUT", I'll see what's going on, get you back in and try to keep it from happening again.. I do see your current ip and have instructed the firewall to leave it alone, but you ip may change over time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great I'll try to note particulars and get back to you immediately, if it happens again.

Last time you fixed it and I thanked you and thank you for that, its just tiresome.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin