Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,431   Online: 811

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Actually, its worse than I posted earlier. The active area for the cursor is offset to the left by about two thirds of a flag's width. I had a play around and thought I had clicked back on English by clicking the right side of the US/English flag but got French instead!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't know if it's just me but when I put my cursor over the flags, it only shows as a link on the left and right edges. the middle are of the flag image does not work as a link.

Steve.
    I think you may need to refresh after some earlier changes. Try holding down your CTRL key and the hitting F5

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That did it!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    In addition, you may wish to translate APUG's main menu bar as well. Here is a suggestion for the Dutch version.

Home - Home
    Forum - Discussies
    Groups - Groepen
    Blogs - Blogs
    Gallery - Gallerie
    Portfolios - Portfolios
    Chat Room - Chat
    Articles - Artikelen
    Videos - Videos
    Classifieds - Aanbiedingen
    Links - Links
    Support Us! - Steun Ons!
    Mobile - Mobiel

Some words do not have a Dutch translation, like Chat, it is used like that in Dutch as well. "Classifieds" is difficult to translate in Dutch. "Aanbiedingen" comes close, but some people may prefer "Markt" (market in English), or something like that...
    The main problem I'll run into is a fair bit of hard coded english text. This will have to be updated to variables which can then be translated. That will take some time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lastly, you may wish to replace the following post options in forum views:

Edit Post - Wijzig Bericht
    Quick Reply - Snel Antwoord
    Adv Replace - Geavanceerd Antwoord
    Reply With Quote - Antwoord Met Citaat
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    35mm
    I preferred the flags. Only the UK one for the English language. US citizens have to understand they speak somebody else's language
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't want to criticise Roberto's work but I would like to offer some suggestions:

In Italian is good practice not to make the plural of foreign words: sport alternativi, ha messo a segno due scoop.
    So I would say Blog not Blogs, and Portfolio not Portfolios.

I would change Chat Room into "Chat" as this is common in internet parlance, or even better into "Conversazione" if not too long. Or even "Parla", or "Chiacchiere".

Rispondi "quotando" is an awful barbarism that, it alone, would discourage me from using the Italian interface. Rispondi citando.
    Instead of "messaggio", which is more commonly used for one-to-one communications, I would say "testo", so Modifica testo.
    "Quick Rispondi" should become "Risposta rapida" or anything else provided it is Italian, and in fact, when I want to send this post, I see "Invia risposta rapida" which is fine.
    "Articles" should be "Articoli".
    Links: I would not hesitate in using "Collegamenti". Otherwise, Link, without s.
    "Classifieds" = "Annunci".
    Gallery = Galleria
    Videos = Filmati or, at least, Video without s.
    Support Us! I would suggest Sostienici! or Donazioni.

Forum = Conferenze, or Discussioni, Sottoscrizione alle discussioni is a bit too literal, we say "Iscrizione" alle discussioni, but in this case is a list of subscribed threads, so "Temi partecipati" I would say.

My threads: I miei temi.
    Subscribed threads = Temi partecipati.
    New thread = Nuovo tema.

My posts = I miei testi (or Miei testi)

"Spy" I would suggest "Diretta".
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    That is actually a better word than the English version for what that functionality does! Maybe we should replace "Spy" with something like "Live Updates" in the English forums as well...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't want to criticise Roberto's work but I would like to offer some suggestions:

In Italian is good practice not to make the plural of foreign words: sport alternativi, ha messo a segno due scoop.

I would change Chat Room into "Chat" as this is common in internet parlance, or even better into "Conversazione" if not too long. Or even "Parla", or "Chiacchiere".

Rispondi "quotando" is an awful barbarism that, it alone, would discourage me from using the Italian interface. Rispondi citando.
    Instead of "messaggio", which is more commonly used for one-to-one communications, I would say "testo", so Modifica testo.
    "Quick Rispondi" should become "Risposta rapida" or anything else provided it is Italian, and in fact, when I want to send this post, I see "Invia risposta rapida" which is fine.
    "Articles" should be "Articoli".
    Links: I would not hesitate in using "Collegamenti". Otherwise, Link, without s.
    "Classifieds" = "Annunci".
    Gallery = Galleria
    Videos = Filmati or, at least, Video without s.
    Support Us! I would suggest Sostienici! or Donazioni.

Forum = Conferenze, or Discussioni, Sottoscrizione alle discussioni is a bit too literal, we say "Iscrizione" alle discussioni, but in this case is a list of subscribed threads, so "Temi partecipati" I would say.

My threads: I miei temi.
    Subscribed threads = Temi partecipati.
    New thread = Nuovo tema.

My posts = I miei testi (or Miei testi)

I will have a look but some of the hard coded English text I can't change yet. Roberto only translated the actual forum titles and descriptions. The mass of system text translation was done by Italian vBulletin owners. It is good to have the suggestions thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

That is actually a minor difference with how we here in the Netherlands tread foreign words, in Dutch, we do often use the plurals... although the non-plural versions would be entirely acceptable here as well.
    My website

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin