Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,522   Online: 1044

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

fyi- APUG Server Moving to New Host This Saturday USA Eastern Time 11pm

Hi All,

This has been in the works for over a month so hopefully the transition will be smooth. DPUG was moved on to the new server over a week ago without issue. The only problem we should face is outage time. APUG site backup is about 22GB so APUG will need to be taken down during the backup. This backup will take about 45mins-1.5hrs. After the backup all we need to do is import our data to the new server, then update DNS. I estimate 2hrs down time max if all goes well. If this attempt fails then I will revert back to our old server and investigate.

Thanks!
    Sean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi All, unfortunately the server migration failed. I know exactly why but do not have time to re-migrate again. For now the site will remain running on this server, I may re-try in a day or two and the outage will be far less this next go around. Very frustrating, I appreciate your patience.

Sean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi All,

Going to attempt another server migration again tonight 11PM EDT

As far as I can tell the bugs have been ironed out and it should go through ok this time. The routine is as follows:

-APUG locked for full backup (40mins)
    -Site re-opened but in a locked state (this allows me to give you status updates during the migration)
    -File copy to new server (2hrs)
    -Site import to new server (30mins)
    -Testing/cleanup (15-30mins)
    -DNS Updated and APUG re-opened

Total down time estimate 3.5hrs or less.

Thanks,
    Sean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok, another failure. I guess moving an old 23GB site to a new server is fraught with unforeseen issues. I'm going to table this for a bit and start working with the software guys behind the migration scripts. Basically the first attempt failed with an error, I thought I had corrected this but it failed at the same spot again on the 2nd attempt. Sigh.. the saga continues...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hopefully this saga ends tonight. After working with some techs at the future host we identified the failure point in the migration script. For the curious geeks, it was essentially a security audit misconfiguration preventing parts of the migration to import (this is a cpanel/whm to virtualmin migration). The migration was failing about 96% through and new server config changes should allow it to complete this next attempt. I appreciate your patience with these repeated attempts. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    *update: Things did not go well. Although the server was re-configured to alleviate the problem, all it actually did was rule out the server as the main issue. We got a little further, but the problem looks to now be linked to the Virtualmin backend software running on Solaris OS. It's disappointing that I had over 10 site migrations in the last month go without a single issue (including DPUG which is virtually identical to APUG). DPUG has been on the new server for several weeks now. I am in talks with the Virtualmin support staff who have highlighted the issue as a bug that will be fixed at their next release. They are now hip to my suffering with this and with any luck will provide me an independent work around. I'll have to put another attempt off for a while to give you guys a break from these outages. Murphy's Law wins this week :/

Thanks again for your patience.

Sean

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin