Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,462   Online: 950

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi,

Well, disk space is not an issue. It's the bandwidth that can be an issue. For example a new member goes into the gallery and opens 2-300 images, when that happens a few times a day it gives us a big hit. So far I see no need to prune gallery images after my first changes. It looks like not allowing guests to open the thumbnails has reduced us enough

Looking into the other issues mentioned above as well..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    its astonishing the number of members that have dozens even hundreds of posts and arent subscribers yet. i'm sure these members could contribute to a bandwidth and space increase. Sean have you factored in a salary for yourself for the time you spend develping this site. If you dont you certainly should.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The main priority is to have a decent financial cushion for the site to operate on. If it looks like there is a little left over I'll 'pay' myself, but it probably comes out to $1-2 dollars an hour or so. I'd love for it to be a full time gig one day, but doubt that will happen anytime in the near future..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I hope it does too Sean, you deserve it. I think you should sell upgraded subscrptions and give more gallery space with a url like apug.org/"nickname" pointing to the gallery [say $50]

Maybe throw up some templates sometime in the future for some ready made websites. Shopping cart sometime after that. Now you're talking fulltime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds cool baby steps I guess..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean,
    Please disregard my private message. This thread explains it all. I have paid my subscription fee and look forward to a long relationship with APUG. Keep up the great work!
    What!? Behind the rabbit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For those interested, an update on how the gallery changes have affected our bandwidth usage..

Before I made the recent changes we were hitting upwards of 3.4gig a day peak. After the changes this has been steady around 1.8 to 2.1 gig a day peak. So it looks like we've had a good drop in bandwidth without impacting usability all that much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sean that's a huge improvement and I've not noticed any impact on the usability (can you use easier words to type next time please) of the system. Many thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin