Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,233   Online: 840

Shooter
    Multi Format

Trade: Customized 8x20 Korona (built in front movements) for Leica Gear

Hi all,

I built this 8x20 Korona last year in preparation for my trip to go work with Michael A. Smith and since moving to NYC I'm just not using it. I've since gravitated to using my Leica M4 and 11x14 exclusively so I'd like to see this camera go to someone who will use it. I'm still not 100% on letting it go but I'm considering trades for now. I'd welcome some new Leica gear as I can always use a little more. I'm particularly interested in a second body (M4 is my favorite). My dream would be a Tri-Elmar MATE but I don't think one of those will pop up haha.

You can see some pictures of the camera and read about some of the modifications I made HERE. In addition to what you'll see there, I also replaced the front standard by combining it with a metal donor front standard with front movements which just expanded the possibilities for this camera many fold. I also made little supports that slide under the elbows of the front and rear rails that slide into place for extra stability. They work great. Comes with one 8x20 film holder and 2 unopened boxes of Efke PL100 8x20 B&W film. The camera also comes in a fitted Pelican hard case that could withstand a nuclear blast. Sorry no lenses, I'm keeping those.

This camera is meant to be used, it is not a shelf piece. I'm an active photographer and I built this with functionality in mind, not making something pretty to look at so some aspects are a little rough around the edges but it works wonderfully and will make fantastic 8x20 photographs.

If anyone is interested I can pull it out and put up some current pictures showing the front standard and little rail stabilizers.

Let me know what Leica stuff you have to trade if interested!
    Francesco Fragomeni
    www.FrancescoFragomeni.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Leica M4-P (brass top), Leicameter, Voigtlander 50/2.5. Everything has boxes, looks splendid, camera is sparingly used, works well. The first owner had it for 29 years. Located over the pond, though, so...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately, I probably have to keep this continental. Shipping something this size is going to be expensive and stressful.
    Francesco Fragomeni

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had a number of PM replies. Thanks to everyone interested. I thought I should add some pictures of the camera showing the replaced front standard and some of the other stuff. In these for pictures you'll see the metal front standard that allows tilt, swing, rise/fall, and shift. You also see front and rear views of the camera with the front and rear rails folded up. One of the few things you'll want to do is to install a new little cabinet hook to hold the front rail in folded position. I was looking for a matching hook and haven't found one yet so for the time being there is just a little piece of wire that I hook around the screw to hold it in the closed position. A hook should be easy to source and should take all of 1 minute to install. You'll also see the little rail stabilizers that slide into place under the camera. They are marked left and right and slide into the original stabilizer slots. If you've ever used a Korona, you know how much of a difference these stabilizers make. The rails feel about a thousand times more stable with these installed and this is important if you're using a heavy longer lens. A quick note. Like I mentioned, I made this to use, not to look pretty so you'll notice that the stabilizers are raw wood and I don't know if you can see in the pictures but the edges of the ground glass back, which I cut down from a 12x20 to 8x20 reducing back, are raw wood as well. I never had time to go about varnishing anything. If you'd like to make a little project of making it all a little prettier that should be a easy and fun little task. I just never needed it. I'm mentioning all this so that everything is in full disclosure. I don't want someone complaining to me because the camera shows up and doesn't look like a brand new Deardorff. Its an old camera that I've heavily modified. It works great but it's not pretty. I think that makes it more lovable. Ha!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front standard.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	63194

Name:	front closed.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	63195

Name:	front closed.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	63195

Name:	supports installed.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	63196
    Francesco Fragomeni

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are a few more. Here you'll see the 8x20 film holder that's included. It has two different dark slides but works just fine. You'll see the beautiful Pelican case that it comes in as well. There is a cut out that holds the camera in place perfectly. This thing could survive an bomb blast. Finally, you'll see one more shot of the rail supports. They're basically little wood blocks with a little area routed out to accommodate the extra thickness of one of the rails in order to maintain both rails perfectly straight (or as close as possible). The screws slide into the slots on the underside of the camera and everything fits snug.

Name:	holder.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	63197

Name:	case open.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	63198

Name:	case.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	63199

Name:	supports in hand.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	63200
    Francesco Fragomeni

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bump again. Although I haven't found the ideal deal yet, each time I 'bump' I get a couple of new offers from people who hadn't previously seen the post so I'm hopping that'll continue and I'll eventually find something that really makes my mouth water.

My tastes change every day so in addition to the items of interest I've listed previously I'll say that I'm also now interested in a Baby Deardorff (4x5) in good condition or trade toward a Sony RX1.

Let me know what you've got! Thanks!
    Francesco Fragomeni

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgot to update here. It's on the bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321085451141...84.m1555.l2649
    Francesco Fragomeni

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin