Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,226   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

trade my nikkor 28 ais 2.8

I have a 28 ais 2.8 that I'm looking to trade. The glass appears to be in great condition. The body is well used. The keh bargain price is $245. I'll post a pic later.

I'm interested in the following:
    Nikkor 28 ai version
    Nikkor 35mm lenses
    Or any Bronica sq-a goods
    Or any Hasselblad 500 goods

Cheers!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What's the difference between the ais and ai versions of the 28mm??
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    From what I've read, the ais is optically superior. And they actually still make it. You can buy it from b&h for $500! It's a classic apparently. I just don't use it really, so I'd prefer to get the cheaper ai and a 35...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Ais is usually considered better.
    New lamps for old?

Shooter
    35mm
    I suppose so. There is also a 28 ai f2 in addition to the 2.8... It's quite pricey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AIS is newer and has several additional features in addition to different optical engineering and coating formulations. One difference is that they provide additional data to the camera about what lens is mounted on it, some of which anticipated Matrix metering as is the case on the FA and some other later bodies. A common belief is that it changed the mechanics for Program mode, but AI lenses also work in program mode on the FA and others that have it, as long as you keep the aperture ring set to the smallest opening. The other difference that I'm aware of is that the AIS lenses tell the FA and others with program mode, what the focal length is (at least for fixed-focal lengths, I can't say that I know about whether zooms do or not) so that the camera can maintain a faster shutter speed for lenses 135mm and longer, when in program mode.

Some claim that the Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AIS lens is one of the finest that Nikon designed and produced. I can't comment on it as I have not tested it against other 28mm lenses nor do I own it, but the reputation certainly continues to prop the price of that lens on places like the 'bay. It's considered a cult object, like the 180mm f2.8, the 35mm f1.4, the 200mm f2.0, and some others.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can understand why mporter012 would want to trade. I got the 28mm f3.5 ai'd (non-AIS) for about $50 and it's one of the best lenses I've ever shot with (image quality and build quality). Selling the 28mm f2.8 AIS and "downgrading" and making some money would make sense in my books.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here are a few photos. Sorry the detail sucks. They were taken on my phone.

I double checked tonight and the glass is REALLY clean - about as good as it gets. The body is worn, with some scratching and a few places where is paint is chipped - but there are no dents or dings or anything bad. It's just worn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28 ais.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	263.0 KB 
ID:	72908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28 ais #2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	72909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28 ais 3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	72910
    Last edited by mporter012; 08-13-2013 at 11:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    I can understand why mporter012 would want to trade. I got the 28mm f3.5 ai'd (non-AIS) for about $50 and it's one of the best lenses I've ever shot with (image quality and build quality). Selling the 28mm f2.8 AIS and "downgrading" and making some money would make sense in my books.
    I was not aware of a f3.5. So many options!

Shooter
    35mm
    Bump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin