For trade or best offer - Pen FT Body (serial 129634).
Here are the particulars for the camera up for trade.
- Needs new light seals & CLA.
- Assortment of scratches but none are deep or destructive. Some dirt from normal wear but not filthy.
- Small dent & brassing in the top left corner near the rewind knob. Another dent near the serial number.
- Looks like some corrosion on the interior (visible in the pictures) just about the shutter screen.
- As is common with these cameras, the plastic viewfinder frame (which the shoe fits onto) is chipped.
- Film advance is a bit stiff.
- Frame counter does not return to zero when the door is opened. You must use the film advance to return it to the starting point.
- Shutter speeds seem accurate to my ear (not tested professionally of course).
- Metre is functional and seems accurate (at least it gives me readings similar to my other Pen FTs).
- Timer works.
- Interior is generally clean other than the corrosion mentioned above.
- I've put a few rolls of film through this camera and I have not noticed any light leaks or issues with the photos.
Certainly not a pristine example so if you're looking for a mint body or might be bothered by the above issues you might want to look elsewhere. However, I think the camera has character and is very usable. It could be nicely restored perhaps?
To give you a bit of a background, I had only been using digital in recent years and a chance purchase of a Pen got me back, head first, into film photography. I think these cameras are a lot of fun and are easily my favourite half frame cameras. I found that they really brought out a lot of creativity in my image composition and with a 36 exposure roll they give you an almost digital like convenience of taking chancier shots and experimenting. So I have a fair bit of affection for the Olympus Pen series and I am keen to give this camera a good home.
Ideally, I'd love to trade this camera for Pen F series lenses, a Pen F or FV, an XA4 or a Olympus SP but I'd be open to suggestions. I'm fond of cameras from the mid 60's to the late 70's particularly from Olympus but I can be easily swayed for something from another company (hey those Rollei 35s look nice) in at least comparable condition.
I would also be very interested in a medium format 645 kit (say a lens / body / 120 or 220 back / viewfinder / grip from Bronica, Mamiya or wherever) in reasonable shape. I recognize a 645 kit has more value than the Pen FT body so if you are willing to trade I'll sweeten the deal by including a battery for the Pen FT, a new viewfinder / shoe holder, an OM adapter for the Pen SLRs (allows you to use the wide range of Olympus OM lenses on the Pen FT) and an XA + flash (that's the rangefinder one in case you didn't know) in average condition (works fine but has some cosmetic issues).
Have nothing to trade? Send me your best offer. Might be delayed in getting back to PMs over Christmas / New Years Eve & Day but otherwise there shouldn't be any issues.