Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,554   Online: 812

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

FT/FS: 4x5 for 2x3

Buying a 4x5 view camera seems to have been somewhat of a mistake for me. I don't have a 4x5 enlarger, and 4x5s are a little too small for contact printing. I don't have any way to process the film (I can develop B&W in trays, but color is a different story). As if that isn't bad enough, the calumet monorail camera I bought is simply too bulky for me to take everywhere, so it sits in my room.

Instead of buying a new enlarger, a 4x5 processor, and a lighter 4x5 camera, I was thinking about a medium format view camera. The one I'm really out for is a horseman, since I, for some reason, already have a 105mm horseman lens, and all my RB67/graflok backs should mount to a horseman. I'd much prefer a press / technical camera to another monorail, so that hand-holding is possible.

In any case, make me an offer, be it a camera or money, if you're at all interested in the following:

- Calumet monorail camera (looks like this: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/4...6a1608ff37.jpg). Relatively good condition. It's not spotless, but its not grotesque either (probably closer to spotless than grotesque).
    - 150mm f/5.6 Caltar type-S in a wista press shutter with front & back caps. There's some minor separation in the lens elements around the edges, but I've noticed no ill effects; it's apparently a common problem.
    - about 10 (I'd have to count) double sided film holders.
    - 15-20 sheets of ilford Delta 100, expired 2009-ish, kept in the fridge.
    - 40-50 sheets of kodak pro 100, ~18 sheets of velvia 50, both expired 1998, but kept frozen. I bought the color film from another APUG member, who'd said it was still good when he sold it to me a few months ago. I shot a few sheets and it appears to be fine to me.
    - an extra #0 lens board
    - an extra sheet of ground glass. (the one on the camera is gridded, the extra seems to be marked for portraits or something)
    - A bellows lens shade, appears to have a removable filter drawer and a flash shoe.
    - A big metal case to hold everything in. It's pretty beat up, but it's sturdy and all the latches work.

Shipping may be a problem due to the size and weight. It was shipped to me for around $20 from Washington via parcel post, which isn't too bad, but an in-person transaction would be preferred (especially since I don't have a box big enough for this to fit in...). I live in the southern suburbs of chicago, a mile or two off of I-80 if anyone wants to take a road trip.

If you want pictures of anything, just ask, but I doubt you'll get much out of them. The only digital camera I own is the one attached to my phone, and the quality is rather "bleh".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How long is the focusing rail?
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's a little short of 20 inches.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like its a model CC-400, 16" bellows on a 20" rail. The CC-401 has a 22" bellows on a 26" rail, abd the CC-402 is the wide angle with bag bellows. I have a CC-401, they arent pretty, but they do almost everything all the other view cams can do, and they are cheap, built like tanks, and weigh a ton. These are great entry level views, This looks like a great bargain for someone.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...bump

I found a box that everything should fit in if anyone's interested in buying this, but isn't close enough to come pick it up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would you be willing to sell me one of the ground glasses?
    Tim Flynn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What do you think about the B&J (Burke and James) press camera in the 6x9 format? I have one here I don't know what to do with mostly because I don't have any film holders. It has a Graflex Trioptar f 4.5 103mm lens with T B and 1/10 to 1/200 shutter, and f stops to f 32. Front standard swing tilt rise. The bed is a drop bed. Has a viewfinder and a Kalart Sychronized Rangefinder. Oh, and a flash and grip, and even some original flash bulbs too. You'll need to find film holders and give this a real top-down cleaning. Ground glass looks pretty good shape and should clean up nice. It has a grid etched into it (not painted black lines).

Looks like a mini-speed graphic.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I looked up the B&J press, and the only thing keeping me from wanting one is the lack of a graflok back. I was hoping to be able to use my RB67 roll film backs.
    Last edited by thisismyname09; 04-28-2010 at 01:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin