Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,708   Posts: 1,482,881   Online: 1046

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    Rick,

I was hoping for something that takes modern film. My dream camera is Mamiya 7, and I would be willing to add some money in the trade. Or maybe one of Fuji rangefinders.

2F/2F,

this is a two bath processor. Actually, you can't separate bleach and fix in a roller machine because
    in these machines paper moves at constant speed and all processes must run in the same time. When you separate
    bleach and fix, the bleach time needs to be increased relative to development. It's just not going to work.
    I'm curious, why do you want to separate blix in RA-4? The process is tuned for blix, so theoretically, you should not
    get much better results by separating chemicals. Can you elaborate a bit more why you want to do this?
    Okay, how about my 6x9 folder Its a kodak Tourist II that accepts 120 film. It doesn't have a coupled RF, or meter, but is quite capable, lens and shutter in pristeen condition and accurate.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Presuming bleach + fix is better than blix for RA4 because it's (supposedly) better for C-41 is a logically flawed assumption. Where would you even find it? Maybe for a Kreonite user (Read: huge commercial processor) there are suppliers that could supply that but likely it's done not due to it being "better" but more likely due to it being cheaper. The bleach can probably be recycled and save some cost. Big commercial processors (e.g. someone who would own a Kreonite) are more concerned with cost and throughput than top-quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Presuming bleach + fix is better than blix for RA4 because it's (supposedly) better for C-41 is a logically flawed assumption. Where would you even find it? Maybe for a Kreonite user (Read: huge commercial processor) there are suppliers that could supply that but likely it's done not due to it being "better" but more likely due to it being cheaper. The bleach can probably be recycled and save some cost. Big commercial processors (e.g. someone who would own a Kreonite) are more concerned with cost and throughput than top-quality.
    It is not a "logically flawed assumption." The content of the assumption may be incorrect, but it is certainly arrived at logically. It follows quite well that, due to the similarity of C-41 and RA bleaches and fixers, the advantages of separate baths for C-41 may also be advantages for RA.

All I ever said was that I WANT TO USE A SEPARATE PROCESS! When asked, I said why. I also said that this is how I currently process my RA prints, so YES, it is done, not only period, but in a roller transport unit. If you don't want to, then don't! I never tried to talk anyone out of the one-solution process, which I am sure works just fine, and I never tried to talk anyone out of buying this processor. I asked a question, the answer of which helped me determine whether or not his may be an item in which I am interested. When pressed, I gave further answers. That is all. Now, back to selling the processor.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-08-2010 at 08:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, I have an offer on the processor, so unless it falls through, consider it sold.

2F/2F, what chemicals do you use for separate baths and what times/temperatures? I think I want to try it myself to compare the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    Ok, I have an offer on the processor, so unless it falls through, consider it sold.

2F/2F, what chemicals do you use for separate baths and what times/temperatures? I think I want to try it myself to compare the results.
    Hi,

I actually JUST found out that the Kreonite uses separate baths last month, and will not be able to get the answer of what chems until the next session begins (late August). I think it may be Fuji, though. I always assumed they used a Blix process, and was surprised to learn that they do not, so I am incredibly curious myself!

PE here on A.P.U.G. has also said that C-41 bleach and fixer will work on RA paper. You just have to experiment to find the proper dilution.

I believe that there are also a few SKUs at B&H which are called Blix Part A and Blix Part B. I am thinking that they may just be separate bleach and fixer, though I will call Kodak and verify that. Even so, I don't think B&H will ship them.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin