Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,070   Online: 919

Shooter
    Multi Format

Carl Zeiss Tessar 21cm 4.5 (and only 4.5)

To begin with, this is a tale of stupidity.
    My own stupidity, to be honest.

I found a Carl Zeiss Tessar 21cm/4.5 lens with compound shutter at an auction.
    The glass was fine but the shutter worked about every third time so I had it serviced. I also bought a Wista lens board for it (Linhof Technica type) and had a suitable hole lathed (I think the shutter is nr II, but I haven't checked).
    The lens had no retaining ring and the threads were damaged beyond repair so I decided that the best plan would be to glue the lens to the lens board (all my LF cameras use the same type of lens board so it seemed to make sense).

Unfortunately, and this is the part about stupidity, I used a little too much glue which resulted in that some of it traveled outwards and not only fixed the lens to the lens board but also glued the aperture lever to the lens board.
    So, what I have is a very nice lens with a newly serviced shutter, on a lens board but with an aperture fixed at 4.5 (It was fully open when my brain went on vacation).
    For now it is buried at the very back of a cupboard since I don't really feel like looking at it.

Maybe, however, there is someone out there who would like an old Carl Zeiss 21cm 4.5 lens with only one aperture or who will take the time to mechanically remove the lens board and free the aperture selector, or someone who has a shutter but no lens.
    I don't know, but it makes me too depressed just looking at it so I will have to realize that I will never use it.

There is a small speck of dust close to the center of the lens as can be seen from the front. This dust is inside the front cell.

Better to trade it if someone is interested.
    What I have is a Carl Zeiss Tessar 21cm/4.5 (and 4.5 only) lens made in Jena serial 330898 with a serviced compound shutter on a Wista (Linhof Technika) lens board. I think this lens was made pre 1920 but I am not an expert.
    What I need is just about anything, preferably LF-stuff but I use anything from 35mm and upwards.
    Any suggestion is welcome.

Jesper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front.jpg   back.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what kind of glue did you use ?
    thanks !

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two component, Epoxy

When I screw up I do it thoroughly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Two component, Epoxy

When I screw up I do it thoroughly
    OK ! Terrific

I've been thinking about using a wee touch o'glue to secure a damaged lens to a board.
    I've just changed my mind.

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One of two choices for you Jesper

• Send it over to England and I can have a look at removing the glue, recutting the thread, and make a new retaining ring.
    • Trade for a box of 5x4 Ilford Ortho that I have sitting in the freezer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lens traded.
    Thanks for the interest

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin