Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,183   Online: 1060

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Wanted tech field camera 4x5

Wanted, a tech field camera 4x5. I'd consider a "Toyo View" the precursor for the Toyo 45 series, which is a 5x7 and usually with a reduction back to 4x5. I need rear movements. Not all field cameras have them but tech field cameras usually do.

I have a number of things to trade with. I need to conserve my cash, but I might be able to pay some cash and partial trade.

What I have I'm willing to trade:

Mamiya RB67 Pro S kit. Very nice kit. 3 lenses, 2 backs, three viewfinders, lens hoods, filters, body cap, two grips.. estimated value I would say over at KEH would be something like $1300. Kit is in very good condition.

Bronica ETRs with normal lens (has very nice bokeh), metered AE prism finder, two film backs but only one darkslide, two filters (sky and nd) and speed grip which has the winder on the grip and makes this such a portable camera.

Gundlach Korona I think 5x7 but with a 4x5 back. It's larger than the 4x5's I've seen photos of on the internet. I think.. not entirely sure, it's a 5x7. Very good bellows, do not have the extra tailboard. Has all movements on front standard, and rear standard has swing and geared tilt. I do not know how to estimate the age, but I think this is from the 1930's. Has a decent spring back, no light leaks, tested and true. Three lens boards of various sizes. One of them for sure is a Copal 1 size as I could interchange my Nikkor 210 on it. Not sure the other lens board sizes. Finish is original, but actually quite decent considering the age.

Voigtlander Avus 9x12 with three film holders, two of which I was working on making light tight, and think I bent it back into shape right.

Voigtlander Avus 6x9 with a roll film holder and no cut sheet holders.

Bell & Howell 8mm movie camera with two boxes of Kodachrome. Not sure if they were used or not, but it's kind of nostalgic I guess.

Burke & James 6x9 press camera and now I finally got some film holders for it, haven't shot it yet don't have any 6x9 film to find out if it's a good shooter or not.

I'm in California, by the way.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An MPP has rear movements and is essentially derived from the first Linhof Technika's but available at a much lower price, a MkVII is the best model.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    An MPP has rear movements and is essentially derived from the first Linhof Technika's but available at a much lower price, a MkVII is the best model.

Ian
    Thanks for the information Ian. I found one listed on eBay and looked it up to see what you were talking about. I had never heard of this brand before tonight. Yes, this looks very much like a Linhof Master Teknica. This would do.

So would a Toyo 45AX. YES that is a sweet camera. Same thing goes for one of the Wista's I forget the model number, but I do like the Toyo even more. It is compact, black, precision metal machining and finishing. I had an opportunity to hold one last spring shooting wildflowers, met up with a photographer who had one and I think it's a superb camera in every way. And it has lots of accessories, but I guess the same could be said about the Wista's and of course Linhof's.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why not just buy a monorail for 150

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heespharm View Post
    Why not just buy a monorail for 150
    I have a very nice Cambo SC, bag bellows, regular bellows, short and long rails, 90 degree viewfinder mirror thingy that rotates so I don't need a dark cloth. It is way too heavy to take on a real hike, like over a mile. Walking a mile with the Cambo is asking for your arms to be ripped out of your shoulder, and the tripod attachment is very painful to hold for more than 1/10th of a mile at a time, have to shift hands, and then it also bumps into my legs as I walk. I've had enough of braving landscape photography with my Cambo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perry, are you sure you really need a fully technical capable view camera in the field??? Reason I am asking is that I used to use a Canham 45 DLC... Great camera to use, but in MN winters, I could not get the standards to stay tight when placing in my film holder.. They'd move just under the pressure of the springback.... At any rate, I sold it and went to a Chamonix 045-1N. It might not have the range of movements as my Canham, but I never missed them when it was all said and done for most of the work I have done with it. It sounds like you are wanting to hike a lot with your camera?? The Chamonix is based upon the Phillips designed view camera. It has a lot of flexibility, but more importantly has a smaller foot print when folded, and only weighs about 3 or 4 Ib's. They are slick to carry, to use, and I love mine. Tripod wise, you can get away with a lighter tripod. ( I use a Feisol carbon 3441s) and standard manfrotto ball head. All in all, it's a compact and lightweight set up, with more than enough capability.

The Chamonix 45 is also reasonably priced at around $800 or so, or cheaper used. I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

A technical camera as you know will weigh a lot more and will be way more bulky and unwieldy to carry. Do you really need that full range of movements that a technical camera will give you? Do your lenses have that much coverage that the additional movements a technical camera could give you are any use? Just food for thought.

Hope you make a decision, and do not get GAS too much along the way.... Good luck with your land purchase also!!

A.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    Perry, are you sure you really need a fully technical capable view camera in the field???
    Yeah, need is not the word. Desire is the proper word here. I have needs, desires and wants. Need is like my land, getting myself squared away so I don't need to pay rent anymore. So that's a need. Desire is having the best of all worlds in terms of a field camera. Technically I have what I need right now if I am not shooting my wide angle Super Angulon, and that is my Korona. But it is not compact. I've been bellyaching about the price of a proper field camera for some time, but I plunked down a lot more cash for other things.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience on the Canham and the Chamonix. I have seen the Chamonix's on eBay (I think that is where you must buy them new, is that true?) and I have drooled over this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j7axnQhQWg

I think I'm going to have to hope someone wants to trade, or I'm going to have to wait to get what I really desire. Meanwhile I still have my Korona and my Cambo, so I have choices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perry, there is a 4x5 Chamonix for sale on Large format forum by Vinny... (great guy btw!) The 4x5's are WAY cheaper than the 8x10's obviously.... Used you can get them for about $600 to $700 New they are around $850 or so.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just moved to a Technical camera for Landscape work, I bought it last week. This was my reasoning - I have a Wista 45DX which bought mid 80's and it's a great work horse and is still going strong. However I need to work hand held now, not choice - necessity as many places I work don't allow tripods, so I also use a Crwn Graphic. the problem is the lens boards are different.

So I toyed with buying a Linhof and posted a wanted advert here but couldn't justify the price of a MkIV, which takes the same boards as my Wista, so kept an eye out for a reasonable MPP MkVII, but then a Super Graphic popped up unexpectedly, unlike the Crown & Speed Graphics with their sparsity of movements the Supers have good movements, helped by having a revolving back, more than sufficient for my needs. Now I'll leave the Wista in the UK where I've never worked hand-held and use the Super Graphic in place of the 2 previous 5x4's I had in Turkey.

Technical cameras are in between Press and Field cameras and designed for greater versatility/flexibility, so can be a better compromise.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format

Toyo 45A being considered for sale or trade

So, did you ever get the 4x5? I've got two Toyo 45As, one with the revolving back. I might be interested in selling one of them, but haven't decided which. They're both in good shape. The one with revolving back has a problem with the latch on the back cover, but could be easily repaired. Would you prefer revolving back or standard or neither?
    Marty the K

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin