Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,935   Posts: 1,557,053   Online: 1266

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Graphex 135mm f. 4.7 trade for...?

Hello,
    I've got a cool old graphex 135mm f. 4.7 lens in great shape. Shutter works perfectly, apertures are great, no fungus, no scratches, no seperation, cracks, etc. shutter fires, cocks, etc. fine. This lens is on my cambo, so i'd like to trade for another lens for use with a 4x5 view camera. Not exactly sure what i want, but it has to be something usable. Would be really into a cool old lens with imperfections. As long as it has a shutter and will fit on my cambo, i'm interested in a trade. pics on request. let me know what you've got.
    -Austin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what kind of length or effect are you looking for?

i have a bunch of old lenses i have experimented with on my 4x5 over the years, from uncoated antique lenses, to toy camera lenses mounted in shutters, process lenses, macro lenses, etc.

get me close to the fov or at least general effect you looking for (and what kind of film you intend to use it with) and i may have a solution for you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm looking to get images similar to sally mann's photos. I realize that i will need to do wet collodion to replicate it exactly, but i am just looking for an antique-like look. I'd be using ilford fp4+ and kodak tri-x iso 320 film mainly. I was thinking mainly along the lines of antique. have any antique lenses that you'd trade?
    Thanks,
    Austin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sally Mann's images are often done with a single element lens, a damaged lens, or only part of a regular lens (taking the front or back half off of an old lens and shooting with only half of it there, for instance). She apparently went through a lot to find what worked for her. These are easy to find but not always easy to find a shutter to mount them to!

Another thing is that many cheap cameras for smaller formats used simple lenses with much larger image circles than the format they were intended for, thus using only the sweet spot in the middle and hiding the horrible issues at the edges. you can get the full effect of edge softness, coma, astigmatism, field curvature, etc. by using them on 4x5.
    Also, a second trick used with cheap optics to hide flaws was to restrict the max aperture. This means many lenses can be opened up past the designed max aperture for that lens formula, give all sorts of fun effects (including the sought-after but misnamed 'swirly bokeh')

Sounds like you might need an extra shutter, a hot glue gun, and some surplus optics to mess with more than any specific lens. Give you a chance to experiment.
    I have lenses you might certainly like I can gladly trade you, but you might be better served with a spare shutter on a separate lensboard so you can monkey about with optical odds and ends until you get what you are looking for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well give me an offer for some lenses you'd like to trade. unless you happen to have a shutter and a bunch of random cool optics. I may try one of your lenses though and then buy another lens board and shutter and mess around with that . So what lenses do you have to trade?
    -Austin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin