Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,592   Online: 1284

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiedzmin View Post
    you could try adaptec asc-29160n http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support...60/asc-29160n/ (you can find them for about $20) there are drivers for windows 7 and win 7 64 and it will work with VueScan pro, but your new computer will have to have PCI slot what in case of "all in one" design will be a problem.
    Thanks - essentially that is an updated version of the card I installed in my current computer.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have one of the adapters for my SCSI drum scanner to my firewire port of my computer. It is a hassle to use and I highly recommend installing a SCSI card in the computer instead. It is so much trouble that I am considering getting a new computer and putting in a card just to eliminate the adapter from the system.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Greg for the warning.

Now in case you decide to just toss the adapter ....

I'm always willing to experiment.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I face the same situation. Coolscan LS-2000, SCSI interface, aging (Athlon2000) computer. After some research, I share my conclusions:
    - No more USB-SCSI (or firewire-SCSI) converters available; did not see any used ones for sale
    - If/when I upgrade my computer, it will be a modular box. Only way to support legacy interfaces. And, think: the all-in-one may look nice and tidy at first; less so with all the external attachments: extra disk(s), USB expansion hub, etc... Some compactness can be had with "slim" mini-towers and/or µATX motherboards.
    - Plus, with the all-in-one your hands are tied wrt the choice of monitor. If your take the time to scan, you should worry about the quality of the monitor.
    - Legacy SCSI cards will not have Win7/64 drivers, except some high-end Adaptec models (let alone the price, what would you do with ultra-wide low voltage differential connectors?). XP drivers are rumored to work under Win7/32. Fallback: XP/32 (not a bad system after all).
    Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are compact desktops. My desktop at work is very small and neat appearing. It has only two PCI slots but you only need one to have SCSI.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a similar problem with my old Agfa Duoscan 1200. I picked up a USB adapter to use with XP - found it totally useless and ended up spending $200 on an old desktop (running Win98) that I use for the scanner and as a backup for my files. Works a treat with a SCSI card I was given by my local computer store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all.

I think I am beginning to understand why these adapters aren't around.

I hope my space and other constraints don't end up forcing me to retire the scanner.

There certainly isn't room for another computer, and I hate laptops.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had to retire a Canoscan 9900F as it would only works on XP. So I know its a pita

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Matt, my adapter only came with Mac software, so I don't know if it would even work on a PC. To use it, I had to turn on my drum scanner, start the adapter software, set the adapter to off within the software, restart the scanner, restart the computer, restart the adapter and turn on the adapter within the software, turn the restart the scanner again and restart the computer. It was then ready to use. Maybe. Sometimes I hard to go through this procedure twice.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin