Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,572   Online: 1151

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTB - SCSI to USB or Firewire adapter

Hi folks.

We are considering replacing our home computer, and would like to move to something that takes less space.

Our current computer has an SCSI card which I use to communicate with my older Minolta Dimage Scan Multi scanner.

It is using the "Media" version of Windows XP-2. I also installed a Linux partition, and sometimes boot into Linux from there. The scanner works in both Linux and Windows environments.

That scanner has the following input/output ports: SCSI-2 (connector: full 50-pin + D-sub 25-pin).

I would like to obtain an adapter that would permit a computer connection using the computer's USB or Firewire ports.

I'm hoping to acquire something that uses Windows 7 (before the new Windows arrives).

I've tried to find an adapter using local resources and the internet, with no success.

I understand that the adapters have been problematic for some.

If you have something, kindly advise what you would want for it.

I'll pay using PayPal (in response to a PayPal invoice). Shipping can be either to me here in Canada, or to my mailing address just a few minutes/miles away in Washington State, USA.

Thanks,
    Last edited by MattKing; 07-14-2012 at 02:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are PC Card to SCSI interface adapters available, but modern computers usually don't have PC Card slots. They have Expresscard instead if they're laptops, and I'm not sure if an Expresscard-to-SCSI adapter exists.

I have never seen USB- or FireWire-to-SCSI interfaces, unfortunately.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would you be interested in SCSI card itself? I might have a few in my storage if you want one.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an Adaptec SCSI card in my current desktop.

The new computer will be another "desktop" (with the capacity for additional cards) if necessary.

I was just hoping to reduce the amount of space and cabling required by transitioning into one of the "All-In-One" units - something like this: http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...52921666458922 (for purposes of illustration).

Our family computer is in the living room

SCSI to Firewire adapters did definitely exist at one time - you can find 10 year old or so postings about them on the internet.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be careful what you search for. SCSI to FireWire would let you attach FireWire devices to the SCSI bus. FireWire to SCSI would let you attach SCSI devices to the FireWire bus.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Be careful what you search for. SCSI to FireWire would let you attach FireWire devices to the SCSI bus. FireWire to SCSI would let you attach SCSI devices to the FireWire bus.
    Thanks Jim - didn't realize there was a protocol for the description.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a link to a discontinued product that would probably satisfy my requirements if I could find one: http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/FR1SX.html
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Here is a link to a discontinued product that would probably satisfy my requirements if I could find one: http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/FR1SX.html
    last time I saw it on e b a y it was close to $300, but ... check this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Creo-EVERSMA...item27c834896f

in my opinion it is not worth the hassle + cost + 64bit drivers issues

I'm assuming based on scanner model that you are using it for MF. If not there are usb scanners available for 35mm plus with Infrared lamp. You should also check on dpug.org there is a sub-forum Scanning and Scanners http://www.dpug.org/forums/f6/

I would keep "old" computer, at least that's what I did ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. That link is certainly more than I would want to spend on it.

It is a Medium Format scanner.

And keeping the "old" computer doesn't help with the space, footprint and "appearance" issues - not to mention the fact that the existing computer probably needs some money (hard drive upgrade) spent on it to keep it viable.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you could try adaptec asc-29160n http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support...60/asc-29160n/ (you can find them for about $20) there are drivers for windows 7 and win 7 64 and it will work with VueScan pro, but your new computer will have to have PCI slot what in case of "all in one" design will be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin