Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,072   Online: 706

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Think "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" every time you...

write a check. Absolute retro checkbook covers. These date to the late 60s or early 70s and up to around the time we got married (hint: BiCentennial Celebration, Nationwide Swine Flu Vaccination, earth tones, The Jackson Five, Billy Carter, disco music, Barry Manilow, the AMC Gremlin, etc). Or hey! Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. Doggone the things that leap into my mind when I start thinking about yesteryear. A wonderful time and a terrifically bold tv series, any way you look at it. And you can have all of these for $5 plus the cost of shipping (which won't be much). You know, Christmas will be here before you know it, and what would be a better stocking stuffer? I can see the smile on your wife, husband, significant other, insignificant other's face right now. Ear to ear happiness in the yuletide season! Or say...sometimes at the holiday party at work you're asked to bring a "White Elephant" gift. Here's an ideal solution to the annual question of "what can I take that will be really clever and at the same time useful?" These aren't imitations made in China. These were probably made right here in the USA. Or at least in some country we were friends with at the time. Hurry. Step right up. I only have 5 of these.

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _IGP1603.JPG   _IGP1604.JPG   _IGP1605.JPG   _IGP1606.JPG   _IGP1607.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What's a checkbook?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Of course I kid,soon though they will be a distant memory.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sadly you may be right. Better get these while you still can.
    Jon

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Those are great, Jon! I wish I actually used my checkbook so I could rationalize buying them.
    Unfortunately, I use cash or card for everything nowadays. So I'd be wasting my money.

But someone should be happy to have these. Very neat. Good luck.

Shooter
    35mm
    The thing that amazes me is what good shape these are all in. My wife found them cleaning out a drawer today. Aside from some ball point marks on the U of Arkansas cover (my wife's alma mater), they all look fairly new. There was one other purple tie-died looking cover, but it had my wife's maiden name stamped in gold on the front. Looked just like something you'd have paid for Woodstock tickets out of. We still use checks...and film, naturally and books with real pages. We got an Ipad last year. One of the first things I did was to read "The Count of Monte Cristo" on it. Dang but I couldn't have picked a long book or anything...may as well have read "Les Miserables" or "War and Peace," right? Even though it was free (well I do donate to Project Gutenberg), there was just something not as comfortable as having an old book, you know? Oh, before I forget...you folks do know about Librivox, don't you? Audio books...public domain stuff...read by volunteers? A companion to Project Gutenberg. If you never read the book or heard the story, please listen to "The Grand Babylon Hotel." Arnold Bennett was the author. This story starts with an American millionaire and his daughter having lunch in the Grand Babylon. When she orders a beer with her steak and the waiter refuses to serve a beer to a woman, the man buys the hotel and decides to run it himself. Then the fun starts... It is read by Anna Simon (who is very easy to listen to). Another really good one is "That Affair Next Door" by Anna K. Green. Super murder mystery. Can't recall when it was written (late 1800s I think), but it was the first novel to feature a woman as a detective.
    Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rkmiec View Post
    What's a checkbook?
    He means a chequebook (sorry, wrong thread!).

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    These look great, but Barry Manilow... not so much.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree. Manilow should have stayed a jingle writer...just like that guy who wrote "The Pina Colada Song"...which probably has another title but who really cares? Another jingle writer.
    Jon

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Goodman View Post
    I agree. Manilow should have stayed a jingle writer...just like that guy who wrote "The Pina Colada Song"...which probably has another title but who really cares? Another jingle writer.
    Jon
    Jimmy Buffet. I can't stand him. I always tell parrotheads (that's what his fans call themselves) that my favorite Jimmy Buffet song is Bananas And Blow. Except it's not written by him. Or performed by him. It's by Ween.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin